Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2002 LR D2 135K has a coolant leak from the head gasket (drivers side). It's bad. What should i do? Repair it (just the left side or both?) or change the engine?.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
You always do both head gaskets at the same time, make sure to get the heads checked. Are you going to be doing the job?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 1990 RRC had a very small coolant leak. LR tech friend said try Barrs Leaks. It worked. Bought my current 2003 D2 with a blown engine. Looks like it really needed HG's but the owner tried some of this crap and it totally destroyed the engine. The coolant ports in the engine were blocked, the thermostat was full of white qunk. If you need HG's, replace your head gaskets, it will be cheaper in the long run.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
One product that really works, and I am running it currently because of a slight leak at #8 and a radiator leak, is B&G's Coolant Stop Leak. There is nothing in it that will stick to or plug and area of the coolant system, no ceramics, no shavings of any kind like copper, aluminum and it does not glob up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coolant Tabs

I just wanted to see if you guys and gals have used the Coolant Tabs that are put out by GM. I know that GM has used these for the last 20 years because of coolant loss on the Aluminm block and heads, and because of that sorry Dexcool used. I know for a fact that these tabs work. I crushed the package and added them to the upper hose and after about 10 miles there was NO coolant loss and no coolant smell. Now I know this is not a mechanic in a box but it is a great way to stop or slow down a coolant leak. These pellets run about $5 a card and they are made up of vegetable extract so there is no acid to eat away the gaskets.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
You will have problems, at some point because of the fine veins in the Rovers Radiators which will plug up with all that ground up crap in the GM tablets.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
These products work by making the liquid thicker to "plug" the hole. What do you think it does to the rest of your system?

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
I had a tow truck driver recommend this product to me recently ..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the main reasons why a lot of these liquid seal don't work is because people don't follow instructions or their headgaskets, rads, cores and cooling systems are in real bad shape by the point they use it.
I am just studying for preparation in case of. Do you and others recommend these products or if head gasket blows or becomes bad just replace gaskets. I am just thinking maybe I ought to buy a white label abc keep in Rover just in readiness.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts