Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm doing the hub adapter conversion to fit some '09 RRS wheels to my LWB. They are 19x9 and I'm going to attempt to fit 255/60's on there. I've got EAS converted to stock springs on my LWB. I've got the wheels & tires already, awaiting adapters on Tuesday.

If the tires rub, what are the pros & cons of a body lift VS a spring lift? I'm planning on putting Bilsteins in. How will each method affect handling & articulation?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I did springs (2" lift ) oversize tires on stock wheels. Mine rub so I got spacers........done. The ride is off the hook. I was thinking of going up another inch for a while, but I am really happy with the look and ride. I also did not have to swap out my brake lines. I'm right in the safe zone. The only off roading i do is on the beach.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did springs (2" lift ) oversize tires on stock wheels. Mine rub so I got spacers........done. The ride is off the hook. I was thinking of going up another inch for a while, but I am really happy with the look and ride. I also did not have to swap out my brake lines. I'm right in the safe zone. The only off roading i do is on the beach.
What land do you live in where you get to drive on the beach?

My hub adapters should suffice as spacers - I don't know exactly how deep they are but I think it's pretty crazy. I'm actually hoping I won't have to do the lift at all, but if its the only way for my setup to fit then I will.

After some research it sounds like a body lift is the way for me to go as opposed to springs. Keep the CG low and much cheaper.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
A body lift won't affect handling (aside from a slight increase in CoG) and will have zero affect on articulation.
A suspension lift will raise the CoG more than a body lift and its affect on articulation is dependent on what else you do to the suspension.
I wouldn't worry too much about articulation though since switching to such a low profile tire tells me you're unlikely to be places where it matters that much.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A body lift won't affect handling (aside from a slight increase in CoG) and will have zero affect on articulation.
A suspension lift will raise the CoG more than a body lift and its affect on articulation is dependent on what else you do to the suspension.
I wouldn't worry too much about articulation though since switching to such a low profile tire tells me you're unlikely to be places where it matters that much.
Thanks for the info. Will stick with a body lift then if I need more room. Though its definitely going to see pavement most of the time, the 255/60 size still has a respectable sidewall height which should do fine for light offroading work. Of course, that's what my original set will be for though ;-)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose if I'm down there and have the vehicle jacked up I might as well do the bushings too. Hell, maybe even do the Bilsteins. 'Course if they fit I ain't touching a thing for now.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I live in the Hamptons. Yes go body lift. Suspension lift changes a lot: steering, brake lines, radius arms. Essentially when you do a suspension lift the axle moves back which = corrected radius arms. Not to expensive, but more work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they probably won't rub on the inside. I've been eyeballing some measurements with a tape and no matter how you cut it, it's close. I can always go for some marginally slimmer tires, and I suppose if I had to I could probably hack an inch or so off the back end of the hub adapters. If its not more than an inch and a half or so, I'll just get some wheel arch extenders to cover up the tires a bit more, which is the situation I'm hoping for,

Anyhow, I've got an appt in the morning to get it all installed (I didn't bother because I don't have a decent jack nor a tire mounter) so I'll report back after I pick her up.

It's hard to eyeball tire diameters with one mounted and the other not, but my biggest concern is not them sticking out too far past the fenders, but them rubbing on the fenders because of the excessive width.

Anyhow, here's a pic of the tire next to the current one, and the wheels and the adapters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts