Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So… I have been trying to figure out if I can put a 2” body lift on top of my 2.5” rod lift. I read that Sasquatchface did it but that is the one and only person that I’ve found that did it. I’m not sure if he still comes on here. Has anyone else done a body lift or researched it?

Thanks,
Craig

·
very disco
2,883 Posts
I’m sure he’ll pop up again. I have no experience with body lifting directly, as I’ve always done suspension. I can’t think of anything that would prevent, or make less feasible, body lifting a D3 over any other vehicle.

Reactions: Cracker Craig

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve got a 2.5” rod lift now. The narrow stock stance of the LR3s drive me crazy I can’t stand it. I bought some after market wheels that have a 1” offset and now they rub when I turn left. Also I’m running 33” tires. As far as the cons of the body lift goes I’m fully aware.

Body lift cons: #1 it offers no extra ground clearance from the frame. Unless you count being able to fit taller tires wich do give you more ground clearance. Since larger tires give you ground clearance, you kinda have to count it. #2 having to relocate and extend components. The one person that has done it on an LR3 said he didn’t have to extend or move anything.

Body lift pros: #1it in no way changes the suspension. No ball joints or cv joints are put in angles that will damage them over time. #2 No alignment is needed. #3 while the center of gravity is changed, it is not changed as much as a suspension lift. A body lift only raises the weight of the body. A suspension lift raises the weight of the body, the engine, the transmission, the transfer case,the drive shaft, the rear end, etc. #4 While all of the other pros are real, the main reason is to suspension lift a lr3 over 2.5” will get very expensive and probably cause some cv joint issues quickly.

Almost any modifications that we do to these things make them less reliable. Let’s face it, if we were that concerned about reliability, we would have bought Toyotas. Lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Btw y’all, I appreciate y’all’s responses. Even if you don’t have experience with body lifts, I appreciate your ideas and thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Good discussion points. I wonder if one can really fit larger tires though with a bodylift on an LR3, since the main points of rubbing are the control arms and the wiring loom on the frame rail. The former may be purely a function of width, the latter is a function of both.

Are you aware of the cons associated with running aftermarket wheels? (besides the one you've already experienced). LR3s are heavy, so I hope your wheels can handle the load. Also, LR rims have sort of a built-in beadlock, or so the anecdotes are told...tire shops hate putting tires on/off LR rims.

I don't quite run 33s, but my Coopers are 32.6 and I just use the IIDTool to lift it at the trailhead; otherwise I run around stock. No issues, but of course I don't use Access Height ever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I believe the wheels can handle the weight. I do believe that LR should have made this a 6 lug vehicle because of the weight though. It is probably why they chose to go hub centric rather than lug centric though. Once an offset wheel is used, the contact point of a larger wheel is no longer the control arms. The contact point is now the fender flairs. A body lift will also help to keep the wheels from damaging the fender wells and flairs in case of an air suspension failure which is arguably likely. Air shock spacers will also help in the case of suspension failure (I plan on adding them soon) because the bump stop is inside the air shocks on the LR3.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was mentioning the control arm under the assumption that you are already at 33s and want to go BIGGER and get a body lift. To me that would mean that on the same offset wheels you'd end up with rubber that is even wider....could that not cause interference with the control arm?

I know that people have gotten up to 34s without a bodylift; the spacers on the shocks was part of that.

Best of luck. I am happy with the 32.6s and sort of think it's the "sweet spot" for me at least. It's pretty much all stock and that helps my LR3 apply the right amount of torque down at low RPMs. Bigger tires hurt in that regard. Obviously they help minimize obstacles, too...so it's a balance between obstacle "bite," ground clearance and "torque at the point of attack." I'm not sure your use case, but in the pacific NW all three are important. It's like a 3-legged stool.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No sir they came with 33” and they did hit the control arm before the offset wheels. I have no plans on going to a taller because I do not want to rob any more power from the week engine plus I don’t want to stress the transmission any more than it already is. I plan on using this thing at work as a beater to keep from putting my truck in the mud every day. The small 33” tires will be a problem though because all of the trucks leaving ruts are running 35” or 37” tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ahhhhh.....that helps my understanding, thank you.

Hmmm....well, I can't really answer your original question. Hopefully someone can. I have some other ideas, though, if you're interested.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well okay....you using it as a "beater" gives me pains. I have two LR3s and I love them. One is our "workhorse" (not beater) :) and the other I ordered from the factory and I love it more than any other material object. Ever. Ironically it's the more built-up off-roader even though it looks pristine. I'm an avid detailer, too.

Anyway, I digress....enough about that. What I was gonna suggest, since your main thing is performance in mud, is this:

1. Get an IIDTool (or keep the rods, I suppose).
2. Go back to proper LR rims.
3. Go "down" to 32" tires....but MUDDERS and not those KO2s.

Alternatively, change the brake calipers to allow fitment of 17" LR rims and put KM3s on it.

Hard to sell an argument for a body lift in order to run 33" AT tires in mud when you could do better w/o the lift with tires just a little smaller but with some mean-ass tread! I went from ATs (Cooper Zeon LTZ) to a pure off-road tire (Goodyear MT/Rs and now Cooper Discoverer STT Pros) and it made a world of difference in mud....and in general off-road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahh, well I bought it because it was cheap and it’s something I can tear up rather than my duramax that’s valued at 5 times what this is worth. The 35” tires on my truck are not enough and do not provide enough ground clearance at the hub. We drive in right behind the track hoes and dozers and there is almost no bottom and deep equipment ruts. I will take this thing in places that are much different than trails. The 33” will be a problem especially in the areas where there are loose boulders. Knocked a hole in my trans of my duramax with one a few years ago at work. Sometimes the hills that we work on are too steep and we get towed up them by dozers. I am absolutely keeping the rods and have never had the idea to get rid of them. The body lift would be with the 2.5” rod lift. A hybrid lift, if you will. If it didn’t have the rods when I bought it I’d have bought the iid tool (from what I read it’s a better option than the rods) but since the rods are there I’ll keep them. The purpose of this vehicle is to save a more valuable vehicle and that is all. The 33” BFGs were on there when I bought it and I would prefer running mud grips because I am in the mud every day (unless it’s dry on the right of way of course) but I’ve always struggled with buying new tires when there is good tread on the tires on the vehicle. Also mud grips don’t do as well on the ice during the winter and most of my work is in Illinois on the Wisconsin state line. When these wear out I’ll probably buy Goodyear duratracs because they have a good ice eating and they are aggressive enough to preform very well in the mud. I’m running them on my duramax currently and they clean out well. I despise the narrowness of the factory wheels and the way they tuck into the wheel wells. This thing will be in a junk yard in a few years. Until then it will get used at work and be full of mud inside and out. This isn’t a weekend let’s go ride the trails vehicle. I will probably park it on the right of way and use my truck to drive back and forth to the office for the most part. I do appreciate your ideas and thoughts but I am not trying to sell you on anything nor am I suggesting you or anyone else body lift your vehicle. If I was going to keep it I would not lift it especially if I was going to drive it on the road much. The pros and cons list that I gave you was not a sale it was an answer to the question that you asked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ice rating lol not ice eating. I just feel like I need 4” of lift and if you have another way to get there at a reasonable price, I’m all ears. If I spend too much on it, it’s defeating its whole purpose. And I might as well keep tearing my truck up.

·
very disco
2,883 Posts
I think it’s worth noting, that the LR3 is incredibly capable in its factory configuration. Adding new, More aggressive tires in the OEM size… putting the truck in off-road height, and choosing an appropriate line… that’s really all that needs to be done.

then again I’ve got 305/55/20 and a 5” lift on my D2….

·
Registered
334 Posts
@Cracker Craig I gotchya man....your use case explains a lot. So does your back-story of how you bought the LR3 and what it came with in terms of setup.

idk dude...kinda sounds like the wrong rig for the job, to be honest. The LR3 wasn't really built for "mudding" per se and it sounds like your current tire size is inadequate, body lift or not. Even if you could squeeze 34s under it; sounds like those are too small, too.

On the flip side, your job sounds fun!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are correct they aren’t the best thing for the mud. As far as my job being fun, mud gets pretty un fun when you are in it all the time. When I was a kid I used to go “mudding” for fun I tore up a lot of trucks off road. I’ve used all kinds of different tires, A/T and M/T and sizes from 31” to 37”. Now days my truck doesn’t get put in 4x4 unless there is somewhere that I absolutely have to be that 2wd won’t get me. I intended to buy a Toyota but there resale value is so good that I felt like I would be in the same position and tearing up an expensive vehicle. The company I currently work for won’t allow side by sides so I sold one of mine and bought the lr3 for $1,500 less than I sold the side by side for. That being said, for me this lr3 is a make shift side by side with leather seats and a heater that will come in pretty damn handy in north Illinois in February. Also after seeing tons of 300 thousand mile plus Toyotas for sale on line, I believe the hype that they are tough as nails. I didn’t see very many lr3s with much over 250 thousand miles and those that were close, mostly had rebuilt engines. I do love driving my lr3 and damn these things look good. I realize the air suspension isn’t super reliable but damn it’s cool. I doubt this will be my last lr3 or maybe a 4. When I drive this one into the ground I’ll go buy another. So you know, I consider everything that you say and I am not invested in being right. Hell, I’m wrong all the time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hmmmm.....I don't see a lot of LR3s with rebuilt engines myself, unless they are V6s or LR4s. The 4.4L V8 is pretty damn good as long as it's not run dry of either coolant or oil. I have 220k miles on my '06 and I have seen many reports of people with over 200k miles. One dude on a FB site reports having 385,000 miles on his.

Hope that doesn't make you change your mind about using it at work! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No not at all. I’m not saying 0 of them make 300 thousand I’m just saying that percentage is much much lower than Toyotas. That being said you don’t see any other brand doing the hi mileage numbers like Toyota. Nissan doesn’t seem to have that many either. There is a reason that Toyota has a high resale value. Unfortunately, Toyotas aren’t nearly as cool as Rovers. I bet if you go onto a 4Runner forum you don’t find “one” guy with 385k miles, you find a shitload. If you take really good care of a lr3 it’ll bust 300. If you neglect a Yota, it’ll bust 300. They just won’t look as good doing it 😀

1 - 20 of 27 Posts