Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 Discovery that I rolled on its side doing some off-roading recently and crushed the body pretty bad on the passenger side and roof. Fortunately, I got a good deal on another 95 with a near perfect body(bad engine). Originally I planned on doing a body swap but have been advised that it may be easier to swap the engine, trans., suspension, axles etc out.
The reason I wanted to do a body swap is because my driveline is in good condition, suspension is new, new brakes, wheel bearings and seals etc., rebuilt swivel balls., new exhaust, power steering box. So doing a body swap all this would be retained.
If I just swap the engine and trans. I would still want to swap all the other new items as well. Which is a lot of small projects that would take a long time to do instead of one big project.
Is it better to swap the body?
Or engine/trans and possibly swap the axles too?
Or some combination?
Thx for the help!

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
The identity of the vehicle usually stays with the chassis. So if you swap the body the vehicle remains your old one. If you swap the mechanicals, the vehicle becomes the new vehicle. I do not know whether this is an issue with registration and other rules about vehicle identity where you live.

Neither is going to be a quick job. I would think that the mechanical change should be quicker. But the vehicle identity issues here would mean that I would do the body swap and keep the identity of my current vehicle.
You will have to lift the body reasonably high to clear the motor. There are a lot of things that are connected to the mechanics and chassis as well as the body. For example, the air-con, the radiator, the braking system, Handbrake, transmission selection, electrical wiring, etc, etc. Where you could leave all these connected with a mechanical change

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.