Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I do the head gaskets in my d2, I'm just going to take the whole body off the frame, as so that I have full and free access to the engine and anything else that might need to be serviced. I need some info when this all happens. I know that there are several body mounts to "release", the heater core lines, steering, transmission linkage, master cylinder, pedals and maybe a few other engine lines. Is there anything that should be taken in to consideration other than those? Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You should download the RAVE manual. It will have the diagrams for all body components.

I believe removing the Body to do head gaskets (or anything other than a frame swap) is a little like "If I went to L.A., via Omaha" - CDB

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Pulling the body to replace a set of head gaskets is akin to using a nuclear bomb to combat an ant problem. I can see no possible way in which that would be easier than simply going in through the hood. Can you provide your reasoning as to why you would do this?

You'll need to pull the fuel lines, the brake lines, the shift lever, the steering linkage, the heater lines, evacuate the AC system, and then unplug every bit of the wiring harness and be careful to pull it through the body.

Do you have a lift capable of lifting the whole body off? If you intend to do it with a jack and jackstands, you have to ensure that you're lifting evenly otherwise you'll run the risk of knocking the body out of alignment or even cracking the glass. Not to mention that there's always a risk of the whole thing tipping over.

What about putting it back on the frame? Pulling it off is one thing, but putting it back on and then aligning all the bolt holes with just a jack is damn near impossible.

If you were REALLY inclined to pull out the lifts I guess you could just pull the motor and do the work on a stand, but even that is unnecessary. Land Rover did a lot of things wrong, but at the very least they gave us easy access to fix all of those things.

Please don't make things more complicated than they need to be. If you still insist on moving forward, please take lots of photos - I'd really love to see it.

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
There's a video floating around showing two guys swapping the frame on a Disco II. They had a first class facility with lots of space and a garage lift, and they worked for 50 straight hours. And you see more than three people working on it in the video at some point. And it looks like those guys had worked on a lot of Discos before, so they make it look like it's an easy job. But it's not. I would say that out of those 100 plus man-hours, probably 75% of the time spent, is removing and putting back the body. Once it's off, taking everything off the frame and putting it back on the new frame is not a big chunk of the whole job.

I would not get into a job like that unless I planned to also swap the frame and put a Turner engine it it. You are a lot more motivated than I am for sure!!!

Please post pics!

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you are just looking to do the head gaskets then its way more work than it is worth to pull the body. However, If you have a long list of other job and mods that you want to do it could make them all easier with the body removed. If you have a lift and all the tools (and space) it is not all that hard to take the body off. The RAVE give details of where the bolts are and i think the procedure to do it. I know there are a few companies in the UK that are quoting about 20hours for a chassis swap so one could deduce that they are getting the body off and back on in a lot less time.
Due to the way the disco's are built, Chassis and running gear down one line and Body in White through Trim and final with the marriage happening quite late in te process its not too much work to separate them. They were designed with this in mind. The break lines have two flexible hoses inside the drivers wheels well that need to be separated, this separates the body side lines from the chassis line, the wiring harness has connectors that enable it to be unplugged rather then unpicked.

It's still going to be a lot of work but its not impossible. Like i said at the start, if you are just doing the head gaskets it is not practical to remove the body.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.