that the mounting plate isn't well attached to the bonnet -- about half
the rivets have pulled out of their holes. I was thinking of replacing
them with either stainless or brass screws. Any caveats or alternate
suggestions?

Thanks!

-Chris Estes-

· Registered
317 Posts
Stainless is fine as long as you isolate the metals. Keep in mind that once corrosion starts with stainless in contact with the aluminum, the aluminum will be the sacrificial annode...

Bogatyr

· Registered
110 Posts
Aluminium doesn'yt rust, but it will still corrode.

Have a look around whore the body attaches onto the rear cross member and you may see some white powder. If you undo these bolts you may see the aluminium is a bit crumbly.

Always use plenty of copper grease on any nuts and bolts, the copper acts as the sacrificial anode, and stops the nuts rusting. Not sure if this prevenst the aluminium corroding though.

Might be worth puting a reinforcing strip ( or a large washer) where bolting through aluminium.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input!

I found zinc nuts, bolts, and washers at the hardware store... that's what the mounting plate is galvanized with, right?

The tire is rock solid now... I guess it's been loose since I got the truck and I just figured that was normal!!!

Thanks again!

-Chris-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.