Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our td5 for a month now and apart from the engine being loud when on the motorway, it's fine. The one thing though that really bugs me is pulling away. Our drive has a slight slope on it and I have to give the car about 2000rpm to pull awat with out stalling.

Should it get better? ( The car only has about 1000 miles on it)

thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry, I can't speak for the Td5 but my only long-term disappointment with all the Td engines that Land Rover have used is the lack of low rev pulling power. I guess it is all part of compromise for motorway running versus off-road use. But up steep hills (or down them for that matter) where low revs in first gear used to do the job, it is now a question of take it faster to keep the revs up or drop into low ratio. I once had an ancient 110 V8 that handled hills in 3rd that the original Tdi struggled with in 1st at the same speed!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had a conversion kit fitted. It is made and installed by J.E. Engineering in Coventry. Everyone that rides or drives this vehicle is astonished.I am very pleased with it too. The increased power makes it easier to drive - less gear changing, better low gear pulling power etc. I tow a heavy caravan and am always loaded to the gunnels with kit. Performance is excellent with very little extra fuel penalty. More info if you want it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Low Down Torque

Roger_Needham said:
I have had a conversion kit fitted. It is made and installed by J.E. Engineering in Coventry. Everyone that rides or drives this vehicle is astonished.I am very pleased with it too. The increased power makes it easier to drive - less gear changing, better low gear pulling power etc. I tow a heavy caravan and am always loaded to the gunnels with kit. Performance is excellent with very little extra fuel penalty. More info if you want it.
Hi Roger. What was the type of conversion?
Was it a modification to the turbo or computer?
How much did it cost ?
Do you know if it is avaiable in australia?
Could you give me the coy mailing address or E-mail
Regards Clive
Coventry Kid (born in Coventry)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Roger_Needham said:
Please send more info. Perhaps JE engineerings phone number

Regards Clive Coventry Kid

·
Registered
72 Posts
Td5

I have heard the td5 responds really well to being chipped. Give powerchip a call and see what they have on offer. I would expect at least 20% increase with no loss of reliability,longevity or fuel economy. When Landrover develop the E.C.U chip it has to cover all sorts of fuel from all over the world. Australia has high quality diesel so chipping is the logical way to go :drink1:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also forgot to mention, diesel engines take a lot longer to run in than petrol engines,your td5 won't free up properly untill at least 50,000 k's it will be at least that long before you get maximum peak cylinder pressure, then you will be getting maximum performance and fuel economy. Wait untill then before you decide to chip it or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.