Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
100 quids for a days work son..
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe from 89 - 94 the Vicious coupling transfercase was used on the Range Rovers and was wondering can someone just give me a little info on these boxes as in if they are in constant 4x4 mode switching only from Hi to Lo. I know that Land Rover switched back to the older Transfer box design due to reliability issues.. Just trying to get some info for the future just in case I run into one.. Thanks Rangies

·
Registered
12 Posts
They are in constant 4 wheel drive (same as all Rangies). The viscous coupling is in place of a manual centre diff lock. It will lock the centre diff automatically when required. I assume it detects the amount of slip between the front and rear axles and locks / unlocks accordingly. Personally I prefer a manual diff lock so that I can decide when it needs to be engaged. Also with a manual lock there is not a lot to go wrong only linkages. Also the viscous coupling types are more expensive to repair/replace.

HTH

Ivan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.