Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this online for $40 incl shipping. Hooked it up with the enclosed OBDII plug and wire; it is "plug and play" so it was easy. Now I can monitor my exact engine temperature rather than waiting for the temp control to tell me it is too late.

It has:

vehicle speed
engine speed
water temperature
battery voltage
instantaneous fuel consumption
average fuel consumption
mileage measurement
shift reminding
fatigue driving reminding
low voltage alarm
high temperature alarm
speed alarm
engine fault alarm
fault code elimination
free switching between kilometer and mile

See pic. Google Head Up Display ZJ15500 to find it.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Now that you've had some time to feel it out, how do you like it? All the features still work and are you getting correct readings. Does the unit have a quality feel? Is it easy to read in multiple lighting conditions.

Mike Russell

Age 20

2003 discovery se

Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is great. I use it mainly to monitor water temp but everything is working fine. My only complaint is that it does not give gas mileage per mile, only per 100kh or per liter.

It seems to be calibrated well. RPM and mph are exactly in agreement with my dash instruments. I got a SES light last week and it warned me with a loud alarm. It also does not like for me to drive over 75 mph; loud alarm there too but it can be changed.

All functions work. Easy to read in any light condition; however, sometimes in very bright sun I have to shade the extreme right upper corner only to read the top right number. Everything else readable all the time. Do not notice any problem with quality but it is only about as heavy as a deck of cards.

In my view it is well worth the money. If I fool around with it more, I might find other ways it could be useful but for now I am happy.

So recommended.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
What make was the unit you bought?
I have been looking on e bay.
There seem to be quite a few that say they do not work on pre2003 European.
What make is the one you purchased?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It is still working.

For those of you who do not know the water temp can reach 121 Centigrade before the overheat light comes on. I have been watching my temp on the Head Up display vary from 96 to maybe 102C and was getting worried at 100C. So now I feel a bit better.

Guess running some over 100C is OK but good to know the specs.

Found the specs in section 88 of my paper Disco II manual.

·
The Old Guy
43 Posts
It is still working.

For those of you who do not know the water temp can reach 121 Centigrade before the overheat light comes on. I have been watching my temp on the Head Up display vary from 96 to maybe 102C and was getting worried at 100C. So now I feel a bit better.

Guess running some overs 100C is OK but good to know the specs.

Found the specs in section 88 of my paper Disco II manual.
I don't care what the specs are, 100C is too hot for the rover V8. If you are running this temp on a regular basis, I would think seriously about changing your thermostat to factory 180F or inline conversion. 121C is 249F and damage will occur. If you don't mind changing head gaskets on a regular basis, keep running at those temps. Mine runs consistent 85-90C with the ambient temp at 95-105F here in Texas.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joe - ignorance is bliss. I have had the DII for about five or six years and have never known at what temperature the water runs. We had it for about a year and had to replace a head gasket. I made the mistake of replacing one for $1700 including rebuilt head over the protest of my indy who would do two for another $400-500. About a month or two later the other head gasket went and I spent another $1700 on the other side.

Since that time it has been reasonably reliable (I say that with some fear and trepidation), but I have never known the water temps. I did notice that the water level was low and filled the reservoir up to the line; that may be some of the reason that it seems to have been running high temps but I really do not know. Also it has the factory thermostat as far as I know.

I plan on keeping an eye on the temps now and will report back. It is pretty simple to replace the thermostat and I will give it some thought.

Appreciate your comments.

About the head up display; it is seeing some delay now before it lights up. So I am wondering what is up. Will also report back on that. But for now I really llike knowing the temps.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes, it is great. I use it mainly to monitor water temp but everything is working fine. My only complaint is that it does not give gas mileage per mile, only per 100kh or per liter.

It seems to be calibrated well. RPM and mph are exactly in agreement with my dash instruments. I got a SES light last week and it warned me with a loud alarm. It also does not like for me to drive over 75 mph; loud alarm there too but it can be changed.

All functions work. Easy to read in any light condition; however, sometimes in very bright sun I have to shade the extreme right upper corner only to read the top right number. Everything else readable all the time. Do not notice any problem with quality but it is only about as heavy as a deck of cards.

In my view it is well worth the money. If I fool around with it more, I might find other ways it could be useful but for now I am happy.

So recommended.
It's likely reading the same as your electronic gauges based upon the fact it's readings are generated from the same control unit supplying them?

·
The Old Guy
43 Posts
At least you are on the right track, that is, monitoring your coolant temps.
FYI, the HUD gets all its info from the ECM, It is the same info that goes to the factory temp gauge(except the gauge is worthless), and the HUD should react quicker than the gauge. Many owners will install a secondary gauge which utilizes a second sending unit piped into the coolant system for extra measure. I have used Dash Command on iPhone(which also utilizes the ECM information, via wifi module hooked up to Diagnostic port), but am looking into secondary coolant temp gauge and oil pressure gauge.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
About the fault codes. I do not know. The booklet says it has fault code elimination but I have not looked into that. I have a cheap OBDII reader which I use and it only has generic codes. Would be nice if the head up display had Land Rover codes but that would be too good to be true.

It is a toy for now and I am enjoying it. Will see what the booklet says about the codes. No idea what a SG or UG code is.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I posit this as the reason for the delay in the head up display coming on immediately after starting the engine - I believe it may be checking all the readings or allowing the Disco to self-test before it lights up. Otherwise it seems to be working fine.

Does this make sense?

Washed it today. Here is a pic.

·
Registered
255 Posts
NO.

So you hard wired it to the engine sensors? Thought I read you plugged it into the OBD port which takes it readings from the ECM, so it's converting some analog signals to digital read out but not generating any unknown info, just presenting a different visual output of ECM data.

Do these Huds have any provisions to report/clear codes like UG & SG or just a wow factor?
Doug
Nice truck you got there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's great. Was wondering if the unit required new sensor wiring or read thru the ECM. A moving temp gauge is much safer than the L/R on/off edition.

So you hard wired it to the engine sensors? Thought I read you plugged it into the OBD port which takes it readings from the ECM, so it's converting some analog signals to digital read out but not generating any unknown info, just presenting a different visual output of ECM data.

Doug
FYI adding our own questions/statements to an others' quoted reply is not being very honest and not a welcome thing to do. Excuse me for doing so to illustrate your method, it was not appreciated.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.