Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. I've searched the forums and google, and I'm still a little unclear on what my situation is. I have had really soft breaking for several months now, accompanied by a hissing from the pedal when I press down on it. I found a leak at the brake fluid reservoir and did the replacement seals kit which resolved the leak, but the soft brakes and hissing persist. I do have los tres amigos on (have been for a few years), and I did the ABS mod fix with a new shuttle valve to no avail. My question is, is it my brake booster or master cylinder that is bad? Or both? From what I've read, hard brakes would be indicative of master cylinder issues, and hissing would be indicative of vacuum leak in the booster. Any help on this would be very much appreciated. Also, I've seen a few posts by Mike stating this may also be the cause of my 1590 and 3 amigos, so it would be nice to clear that up as well.

Brian
'02 Disco II
188,900 and still going

·
Registered
219 Posts
Regarding the Three Amigos, did you have the ABS fault code(s) read? The problem may be with a wheel speed sensor and has nothing to do with the shuttle valve switch circuit addressed by Option B.

The hissing does indicate a vacuum leak to me, but I don't know enough about brake vacuum boosters to comment further.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Red. I have a reader and have pulled the codes several times and yeah, there's a rough road code as well. Thing is with that, I can clear the codes and start up the engine and sit in the driveway and the amigos will come back on without moving. It's probably a mix of things which still need to be addressed. However, the brake situation is what I am most concerned with right now as it's getting difficult to stop without standing on it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The P1590 rough road code is a generic code that always accompanies the Three Amigos. Do you have a code reader that can read the ABS codes? If so, please post the specific ABS codes so we can help you. A generic code reader that reads engine management codes won't read ABS codes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Red. So the only codes I have are the 1590, and erratic sensor reading for rear right as well as no electric signal from rear left.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts