Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know this has been covered plenty, but it strikes me as very odd that I had no 3 amigos problems UNTIL I replaced my front rotors and pads. I did no other work and didn't open the brake lines, so there's no air in the system. I drove it to work yesterday and parked it, then restarted. I then just had the ABS warning, so I thought it might work itself out. Later, all the lights were off, so I assumed it was just getting used to the new brakes. This morning, the 3 are back. What did I do wrong? I have a code reader/resetter and it's giving me the P1590 code. Did I leave out a step?

I know this has been covered ad nauseum, but it's annoying that a simple brake job causes this problem! Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
The p1590 is an engine code related to a.b.s (sort of) rough road /implausible.
Can you read actual a.b.s. Codes?
What tool are you trying to read codes with?

·
Registered
188 Posts
FYI, some info from D2 manual.

Check to make sure no wiring damaged and routed correctly. Does clearing the code turn the lights off? Drive it for a while and it may go away after computer gets used to it?

Rough road signal
When the vehicle travels across rough terrain, or on rough roads instability becomes evident in the drive train. The
ECM could interpret these vibrations as a 'false misfire'. To counteract this 'false misfire' the SLABS ECU generates
a rough road signal, sends it to the ECM so that the ECM can suspend misfire detection for as long as the vehicle is
travelling on the 'rough road'.

Function
Input for the rough road signal is measured via pin 34 of connector C0637
a PWM signal that varies in accordance with changing road conditions. The
frequency of 2.33 Hz ± 10%. The significance of changes in the PWM signal
PWM signal Indication
<10% Electrical short circuit to ground
25% ± 5 % Smooth road
50% ± 5 % SLABS error
75% ± 5% Rough road
>90% Electrical short circuit to battery voltage

The rough road signal can fail in the following ways:
l Harness or connector damage
l SLABS failure — wheel speed sensor
A rough road signal failure may be evident from the following:
l HDC / ABS warning light on
Should a malfunction of the rough road signal occur, the following fault codes may be evident and can be retrieved
by TestBook:
P Code J2012 Description Land Rover Description
P1590 ABS rough road signal circuit malfunction Hardware is OK, but SLABS ECU is sending an error
signal

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I cleared the code after reading it yesterday, which turned off the lights, but the ABS warning was lit when I went home from work. Plugged in again, same code, so I cleared it again. This morning, no lights. I'm going to just relax and see what happens. I don't think I damaged any of the wheel speed sensors; I was pretty careful, considering it was the first time I'd worked on the brakes on this vehicle. Maybe the SLABS is flaky. Wouldn't be the first one. And maybe it's just spooked by the new rotors and will chill eventually.

Thanks again, to each!

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Well, this morning, my three friends returned. I'm going to replace the rear pads eve tho they don't need it and then bleed the system all the way 'round. Don't know what else to do. Redtruck, my code reader is a cheapie and won't read ABS codes. I got what I paid for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have change front brakes and rotors on an 04 Disco II Ive had,
Pulled the ABS sensor out to spy on the grease in my hub bearings. No previous amigos nor issues w brakes.
I find Hub bearings look acceptably lubed. reassemble everything & I get amigos pulling out drive.

Took it all apart again, retraced steps. Still amigos. Ordered new ABS sensors.
Now when I disassembled again to install, I found that when i let the ABS sensor dangle while I peered in there, (Which is essentially a magnet i believe) it grasped a particle of debris. When I reassembled, it was stuck on the bottom of sensor. were talking a speck of rusted debris, And was throwing the rough road sensor..
I cleaned the sensor, carefully reinstalled. Instantly no more issue.

Now Ive ASLO on a separate occasion mis diagnosed my ABS light to a faulty shuttle valve. (which often throws the three amigos..) I foolishly assumed my abs module was throwing code on account of a previous shuttle valve failure coming on from time to time. I took truck on a longer trip to have my wheel bearing break on me. I was just getting the rough road code your getting on beginning of trip.

So, perhaps you may want to check your wheel bearings to rule this out. could be bone dry in there - or jack a wheel off ground and wiggle. there should be no play side to side in your wheel.

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. My code reader is cheap, like its owner, and doesn't read ABS codes. So I'm a little blind. But I will closely examine the wheel sensors, which could possibly have been damaged when I pulled the rotors. I had to 'stretch' the cables a little to wangle the caliper off, so it's not outside the realm of possibility, though I was very careful. In any case, what I should do is look at the sensors (maybe just replace them) and buy a decent code reader, which I have just done.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
As a rudimentary check for the sensors is to measure theyrs resistance with multimeter, a good one should show between 950-1100 Ohm, if this is good the problem is most probably with the air gap between the sensor and the reluctor ring or in the worst case with the wiring to the SLABS ECU

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey am I reading everything right in that a thorough cleaning can fix an intermittent three amigo problem? Haha man I should have done that 7 years ago.

I have an intermittent problem now actually I wonder if it's because of a dirt problem. Nice! Keep updating please!

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Hey am I reading everything right in that a thorough cleaning can fix an intermittent three amigo problem? Haha man I should have done that 7 years ago.

I have an intermittent problem now actually I wonder if it's because of a dirt problem. Nice! Keep updating please!
The intermittent issue is most probably SVS related... anyway it's not a guessing game, read the codes

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awaiting delivery of my new & improved code reader! Meanwhile, the tres hombres haven't returned (knocking on wood).

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I received my new OBDII reader today. It's a Foxwell NT630, designed primarily for ABS and SRS codes, a nice compliment to my engine code only reader. It told me my left rear wheel speed sensor had an electrical problem. Cleared the code and it hasn't returned. Yea! Thanks for all the input!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.