Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting new pads and rotors on my 2000 Disco II today. Old pads were literally worn to nothing, so I have to push the calipers in quite a bit. I left the brake fluid lid off and started pushing them back. As I got 2/3 of the way in I started to see some brake fluid seeping around the edge of the seal. They are now all the way in and show no more seepage after wiping them down. I have not yet remounted the caliper/pads.

I had no leaks before the brake job, so should I mount everything up and see how it works? or do I definitely need new calipers.

I saw a video online where the guy released the bleed screw while pushing in the calipers. Is this a good practice when retracting calipers?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Who's brake pads did you buy?
As for the leak, are you referring to a leak at the caliper or M/S?
How many miles on your truck?
Make sure you do a full 2 quart brake flush when done.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
The way I read your post the leak is from the caliper piston? If so what has likely happened is the piston seal has failed after being retracted in its bore ( hardened seal from heat or rough surface in the bore has damaged it - corrosion in the bore from brake fluid degradation ) if this is the case the caliper should likely be replaced and the system flushed / bled. I always advise calipers be changed in pairs or sets - not just one
in my opinion

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Oh yah
replace your rotors

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who's brake pads did you buy?
As for the leak, are you referring to a leak at the caliper or M/S?
How many miles on your truck?
Make sure you do a full 2 quart brake flush when done.
The pads are Akebono, and the leakage was at the caliper as I retracted the pistons to make way for the new pads. Is it worth closing everything up to see if it seals? The truck has 137,000 miles and I already have bought 2 quarts of Valvoline synthetic DOT 4 for a flush.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I wouldn't chances are you now have e torn seal

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you are looking to get rebuilt calipers. Look at AC Delco calipers from amazon. They are around $45 each with the bracket and hardware. The big plus is free shipping and no core charge.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are looking to get rebuilt calipers. Look at AC Delco calipers from amazon. They are around $45 each with the bracket and hardware. The big plus is free shipping and no core charge.
Thanks for the tip, I am interested was unable to find them on amazon. The best deal I have found is my local Advance Auto for $65 and I can pick them up in the morning. There is a core charge but that's no big deal with a local vendor.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Search by the part number
18FR2754
18FR2755
18FR2756

Current amazon pricing is $35 and $40.

These are the three that I ordered. I bought the other one from Advance Auto before I found the delco ones from amazon. I still have to do my brakes. I am replacing pads, rotors, calipers and installing ss (+2") lines. I figured since I am doing the lines I should do the calipers. The rears don't look to be in that good shape. They are very rusty. I want to paint the calipers (black) before I install them. I am going to use duplicolor caliper paint.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Follow up -

I finished the brake job a few days ago and all is well. I ended up replacing all four calipers with rebuilt Lucas units from Centric. Rotors are R1 Concepts off of eBay and the pads are Akebono from Amazon. I also did a flush/bleed with 2 liters of Valvoline DOT 4 synthetic fluid. Brakes have never felt better. Maybe I will attack 3 Amigos next ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Follow up -

I finished the brake job a few days ago and all is well. I ended up replacing all four calipers with rebuilt Lucas units from Centric. Rotors are R1 Concepts off of eBay and the pads are Akebono from Amazon. I also did a flush/bleed with 2 liters of Valvoline DOT 4 synthetic fluid. Brakes have never felt better. Maybe I will attack 3 Amigos next ...
I am going to try to get my brake job done this weekend. R1 rotors, Akebono pads, rebuilt lucas calipers from AC delco, Terrafirma +2 SS lines, crown performance ss link/jump lines. I painted the calipers and brackets already.
I sprayed PB Blaster on all the brake line connections. I hope they come apart without any issues.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Follow up -

So, do you have a ABS scanner and did the lights come on recently, if so, it might just be from the warn out brake pads.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, do you have a ABS scanner and did the lights come on recently, if so, it might just be from the warn out brake pads.
I have been living with 3 Amigos for quite awhile. I do hope the new brakes clear the Amigos, but assume I will need to get a scanner for a proper diagnosis. I have not located one yet. I may need to purchase one.

Next project - front drive shaft

1 - 13 of 13 Posts