Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last couple of days, whilst going down a steepish hill at about 40kph, in second gear and not touching the brake pedal, the brake warning light is coming on. As soon as I either give the accelerator a squirt or go into neutral (take pressure off the engine) the light goes off, the brakes still seem to work fine. What is going on? Vechicle is a 1996 Defender 130, with the 300 series tdi in it. :dunno: :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Sure sounds like the level switch in the brake fluid reservoir. That, and the parking brake are the only things that turn on the brake warning light in older Defenders, though I suppose the newer ones with ABS may be triggered by other sensors too.
Better top off your brake fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
John,

I've had a similar thing in my 96 Tdi wagon. As the brake rotors and pads wear down the fluid level slowly drops in the reservior and sets off the sender unit on steep descents. Just out of interest, is mine the only Defender that's savage on rear brake pads and rotors? I've been through 4 sets of rear brake pads (an average of 50k per set) and a set of rear rotors at 150k, and only just replaced the front pads and rotors for the first time at 200k, even then the front pads and rotors were worn but nowhere near as much as the rear. I'm not sure if there's a problem with the brake proportioning, or if its just that the rear pads are so small compared to the front? The anchors work fine generally, and its difficult to lock the rear wheels even under severe braking.

Thoughts anyone?

Sneaky

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input guys, finally got the truck parked on a flat surface and checked the reserviour and it was a bit low, filled her up and no problems :wave: :wave:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Warning Brake light coming on

Hi everyone.

1997 Disc II. Last night was driving, and the red warning Brake light started flickering. Fearing another $500 bill for the local LR dealer, I checked this forum today.
What do you know! The brake fluid level is below the max. I am gonna fill'er up with the brake fluid, and take it from there.

Thanks to all of you guys for the help, you are awesome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sneaky Pete said:
John,

Just out of interest, is mine the only Defender that's savage on rear brake pads and rotors? I've been through 4 sets of rear brake pads (an average of 50k per set) and a set of rear rotors at 150k, and only just replaced the front pads and rotors for the first time at 200k, even then the front pads and rotors were worn but nowhere near as much as the rear. I'm not sure if there's a problem with the brake proportioning, or if its just that the rear pads are so small compared to the front? The anchors work fine generally, and its difficult to lock the rear wheels even under severe braking.

Thoughts anyone?

Sneaky
This is common, not only on defenders but I have noticed it on Discos also. I think basically all the crap flicks up off the road from the front wheels and gets sucked into the rear brakes causing faster wear. I worked on Fraser Island Queensland for a 4x4 hire company that hired defenders and it was extremely accentuated there with all the sand. When you wash your Landy hose the calipers with high pressure and wash all the crap out of them. You can get at them from the rear easy enough. :drink1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.