Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
It's probably the brake light switch.
You can reset it.
Find the switch before...
Press the brake pedal all the way down.
Pull the plunger out to it's max and then let the pedal up.

I think that's how you do it.

· Registered
64 Posts
I think I have the same issue?

If you mean the "brake" light on the dash. Then I too have the same issue. I own a 01 Disco II, and my dash indicator flickers, then sometimes stays on until I apply the brakes. Then the indicator goes out or does not flicker. Now this is all happening while driving. I have not seen if the indicator comes on when idling. As I do not have the time, I've been holding down the border all week from sun up to sun down. Now it looks as though I will be heading out to assist in some capacity where Hurricane Katrina hit. I did a search on the site and checked my fluid, the pads seem fine. OkieRover, Could you please elaberate on this "plunger" brake pedel fix. If that is what I need to do? If all else fails, I'll have my wife drop it off with the machanic while I am away. At this point, I don't know when, (if at all) I will be leaving or where I will be going. :wave:

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't think it's my brake fluid, just had the 90k service done on it. I'll still check to make sure though. Okie - if you could elaborate on the plunger method it would be much appreciated.

3,205 Posts
I guess I didn't think it was the light on the dash.
IF it's the light on the dash, the guys are right it's probably your pads need replacing.
This is the brake light switch replacement.

I thought I wrote this up once for my site but I guess I lost it.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Changed the brake pads- they were down to the sensors. The brake light is still on though- checked fluid at it's at the correct level. Do I now need to reset or replace the switch? Okie - how do I access the switch on your diagram , is it under the dash?

· Registered
388 Posts
You should have the brake fluid fully flushed and bled. Its quite a long process on the ABS RR's but its worth doing especially on a truck with that many miles. I had the same issue last year: brake light would flicker whenever I touched the brake pedal eventhough the fluid was full and the pads were new on all 4 corners. I took it a step further and replaced the ABS accumulator ball and did the fluid flush. Works great now and the pump doesnt run as much :D

· Registered
1,506 Posts
NJRover said:
Changed the brake pads- they were down to the sensors. The brake light is still on though- checked fluid at it's at the correct level. Do I now need to reset or replace the switch? Okie - how do I access the switch on your diagram , is it under the dash?
Just stick your head under the steering column/dash and you'll see the switch behind the brake pedal.

3,205 Posts
You don't need to replace that switch unless your brake lights in the back of the truck quit working. IF that switch fails you will get an ABS error and your ABS and traction control lights will come on.

Change your fluid. According to my friend the Evil German Dude in Europe you replace your brake fluid every 2 years. Do that.

Sven:
Where do you get that accumulator ball? Is it a kit?

· Registered
1,506 Posts
I have one from a 91 RR if anyone needs one.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Sven -
I bled the fuid and the brake light is still on. I called my mechanic and he said it may be the emergency brake setting it off ( though I never use the e-brake) or it could be a faulty brake fluid sensor. Will see where this takes me. Thanks for all the advice thus far - much appreciated

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.