Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, not sure if anyone has a clue about this...but I have a 2003 discovery S and just recently I noticed that both rear brake lights are not working and when I have the car running and then switch off the key while holding the brake pedal the car continues to run normally, even with the key removed! It does this until I release the brake pedal.

The previous issue I had was that the left indicator circuit wasn't working at all until I removed the plastic cladding around the wheel and wiggled the connections, which seemed to fix it

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Any chance it either has or has had aftermarket crap installed in it such as remote starter or alarm? If so I woould start looking at that stuff

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So what after market type parts are you talking about?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Remote car starters (early designs) were notorious for for causing weird electrical problems. I have seen many cars bought as used and the current owners not even aware that the system is in the car since it had not been in use or properly removed. One of the input / outputs is brake signal so the car would shut off when the brake is applied unless the key is turned to the run position. Not sure if this is the case on this vehicle but it was the first thing that came to mind.
Would be interested to hear the outcome....
Discovery3driver let us know please

·
Registered
83 Posts
Remote car starters (early designs) were notorious for for causing weird electrical problems. I have seen many cars bought as used and the current owners not even aware that the system is in the car since it had not been in use or properly removed. One of the input / outputs is brake signal so the car would shut off when the brake is applied unless the key is turned to the run position. Not sure if this is the case on this vehicle but it was the first thing that came to mind.
Would be interested to hear the outcome....
Discovery3driver let us know please
I have to jump in on this one, because I have the exact same problem with my truck, AND I have a viper system in it (from the original owner).

Also my dash isn't illuminated, and the center shifter (P/N/D/3/2/1) light goes out when my headlights are turned on.

I have cleaned the light stalk, and all the driver side footwell grounds, as well as all grounds under the hood.

Oh and my brake lights don't work unless my headlamps are on., which they are always on anyways (for statistical reasons).

Also turn of the truck and remove your foot from the brake and everything turns off, put your foot back on and everything lights back up!

Anyone ever have any luck removing those damn aftermarket systems?

EDIT: Not a remote start system, just alarm/lock, also getting rid of all LED's to see if that is causing a strange problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
FUSE 3! Take IT OUT AND REPLACE! Fixed Mine!

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Thanks for the update, good to know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.