Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an anti-lock light on for sometime.
The code that it throws is the brake switch which I have replaced. The code would not clear and the lights have been on ever since. I recently had to replace my accumulator due to the fact that the ABS pump would not shut off. I replaced the relay also. I managed to get the system working properly again on Halloween night.

Today on the way in to work I had to jam on the brakes.
And when I got to work 15 minutes later I shut off the engine and the ABS pump was still running. I know that they are not supposed to run constantly. And I know they will burn up if they do run constantly.

What is going on with this thing!???
Has anyone had any experience with the brake system?

· Registered
255 Posts
I too replaced my accumulator, when it actually was the abs motor. There is a switch in the abs unit that turns off the motor when the pressure is sufficient. This switch gets cruddy and fails or gets flaky. An old time rover guy once told me if it stays on, with the key off, open the hood and give the end of the abs motor a good wack. You can try a bleed to remove the old cruddy fluid and to buy some time, but start looking ahead .You most likely will need to change your pump. I have heard of guys who rebuilt the pump themselves, but it's hard to get to the switch.

You didn't say what year you have, my experience was with a 1990 classic.

good luck geneo

3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't have to "wack" on it.
The rubber boot that is on the end, I just pushed it a bit and it stopped running.
Sad we can't maintain those switches.
Hopefully it will get me home.
I might even rig an LED to it and that way I can tell when it's running.

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
For the ABS pump running on after the ignition is switched off, you have a stuck relay. This has happened to me as well. It's located under the drivers seat. If you remove the plastic shrouding you will see the relays. You might be able to get away with just tapping it or something. I'd replace it though just to be on the safe side.

3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's brand new.
I replaced it with the accumulator on Halloween.
I just touched the back side of the pump where the plastic cap keeps the end sealed. There is a "nipple" for lack of a better word and I just moved it a bit and it shut off. I felt it vibrate a bit and it was all better.
This was after someone told me to "give it a wack".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.