Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All you Awesome Rover Owners! I am in the process of trying to purchase a 99Discovery SE. I went to go give a final test drive today and there are 3 lights that are on and stay on, on the dash board. I looked in the manual to find that all 3 refer to the ABS braking system. This car was just seviced 6,000 miles ago for brakes. Any ideas what it could possibly be? Of course the car does not come with a warrenty so I am a little afraid, however I can see what you all see in The Rover. It's an awesome looking, driving and riding machine. Please let me know your thoughts on these brake indicators---I really want this car----GREAT price---GREAT color!
Thanks in Advance!!!!
Dominic

·
Registered
167 Posts
lights on

Have them hook it up too computer and tell ya what they r and have them fix them before you bye it then take it for a ride and be hard on brake system.. How many miles on it?? Did you look at the brakes.rotors,calibers. ect Might just be ABS sensor or could be some thing major ..Do u have a mechanic you trust ?? take it too him.. Let us know what you find out.

Eric

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Eric. Unfortantaly I am buying this car from a Chrysler/Jeep Dealer.....they really don't have the right tools to check a car like that. I, myself---have no idea what to look for if I was looking at the brake system. Maybe I can try to set up an appt. with my local Rover Dealer to check it out----I just don't think that they will let me take it and have that done. Milage is at 68,000.00---I have a current carfax.....60,456 car was Serviced for Brakes and Engine, then at 62,079 it was serviced again--does not say what for.....at 65,079 it was again serviced----does not say for what. I have a feeling that it was regular oil changes. I am going to call Rover on Monday to see if they have any info on the car. It is my hope that whatever service they just did to the brakes 6,000 miles ago is still under some type of warrenty.

·
Registered
317 Posts
DomBabb,
Wow, it's for sale at a dealer and they don't offer a warranty? What state are you in? Dealers can't do that in New York.

What I would do, first, is be prepared to walk away. Next, tell this place you want to take it to a LR dealer to get an estimate on what it's gonna cost to fix this thing. If they won't put dealer plates on it for you to drive over there, walk away. When you get the eye popping estimate, bring it back to the place selling it. If they won't budge on the price, walk away.

Honestly, there are tons of used rovers for sale and you don't need to be saddled with thousands of dollars in potential problems from the get go.

Sure, this might just be a situation where the ABS sensors are out of whack, but you need to have someone who works with Rovers judge the situation.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
523 Posts
Dominic:
As other members posted, try to deal the situation with the dealer.I understand your situation perfectly, if that's the one you want, do your best at negotiating with the dealer.If there's no warranty, ask them if they can borrow you a plate in order to take it to a local LR dealer, or elsewhere that have the appropriate equipment, even though as posted earlier, with any OBD ll scanner they can pull these brake codes AT THEIR DEALERSHIP.Two more thoughts:1.A couple of the ABS stuff had been recalled on these vehicles, (I posted a topic about it somewhere around here), so if this truck doesn't have the recalls performed ,that could be the culprit, and they can be repaired/replaced for free at your local Land Rover dealer.2.I'm almost sure that it could be an adjusting from the sensors, if indeed the rotors were replaced recently, not a major thing.Bottom line:
If that's the one you want, GO FOR IT, let them now that you are really interested in the vehicle, but also let them know that you are the one who got the money, and as Bogatyr stated, will be willing to walk away if your rules are not taken into consideration.
Carlos

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.