Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Roverness
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

It's been a while since I roamed these pages...the Land Rover ownership was interrupted by my job. I previously owned a 93 RR, but I just recently picked up a 50th anniversary 98 Disco 1...#13 of 50. Less complicared than the RR...which is great. Looks like it might be a Canadian truck as the emission sticker is in English and French?

Anyway, I've slowly been getting it roadworthy again as it sat for about 18 months. I've replaced the front calipers and rotors and bled the system (2x now). I'm currently experiencing a front right and left rear brake lockup. The problem happens after varying amounts of distance...could be within 3-4 miles...might be after 50 miles...sometimes it occurs if the truck is left to idle for 5-10 mins. When this occurs, the brake pedal gets very firm with very little movement to the pedal. The brakes can be "released" by shutting the truck off for several minutes.

After searching and reading posts, it looks likes I can narrow the problem down to either the master cylinder, the pressure reduction valve, or air still in the system. Anyway I can narrow this down further? I really don't want to throw parts at it as they(parts) start at $150.

Thanks

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

I'm a little hesitant about messing with the ABS unit...I have heard that it takes a dealer/tech to unlock the internals for proper bleeding...yes/no?

Is there a procedure for bleeding the ABS unit that an experienced home mechanic can follow?

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved! It was the master cylinder. I swapped in a good used unit I had and brake pedal feel is much better...not so stiff. So if you have the symptoms I listed above, its a good bet that its the master cylinder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.