Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Disco 2 121k miles

My latest money pit required a new rear half frame. Also discovered a seized caliper and rusty rear brake lines. This frame job too big for me so I had a shop help. Since they were there, let's get the brakes repaired too.

Problem is after its all back together the brakes go to the floor. The shop has the proper bleed tool (Snap-On system) and know the 3-step process to bleed the brakes, pressurize the ABS etc. But still resulted in no brakes.

They claim the master cylinder has gone bad. because front right and left rear brakes aren't functioning.

Does that sound right to you all? Or do you think it is improper bleeding?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Yes, if the FR and RL brakes are not working means that the secondary cicruit of the master cylinder is gone

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, if the FR and RL brakes are not working means that the secondary cicruit of the master cylinder is gone
Fery:
Ok thanks for confirming. Is the fix simply a new master cylinder or is there more to it?

·
Super Moderator
2,245 Posts
Sometimes when bleeding, masters can fail. Likely due to being stroked more than normal and damaging / tearing a seal. It suck but it happens

out of curiosity what did the frame repair cost you?
I assume you put in a new rear section???

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes when bleeding, masters can fail. Likely due to being stroked more than normal and damaging / tearing a seal. It suck but it happens

out of curiosity what did the frame repair cost you?
I assume you put in a new rear section???
1/2 Frame (Chassis) I got for $1260 shipped. Install on the frame alone as $1500. There were also a couple of weak spots up by the Cats so I had those preemptively patched which was another couple hundo.

Thanks for the confirm on the Master. Hopefully Im back on the road early next week.

RN Half Frame

Reactions: PiperFF

·
Super Moderator
2,245 Posts
Sounds like a decent price.
glad you picked up on the front frame by the Cats. I recall you asking about what to look for on the frame (I had mentioned to 👀 in that area 👍

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a decent price.
glad you picked up on the front frame by the Cats. I recall you asking about what to look for on the frame (I had mentioned to 👀 in that area 👍
Yes thanks for the very important tip! Good suggestion as the others I've had, did not have that issue. This truck was a friends of mine. He and I wheel'd quite a bit together and sadly he let this go over the last couple years as he had other priorities. Im glad to resurrect this truck cause he did a lot of upgrades and fixes of important issues.

Reactions: redtruck12

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello again - new Master Cylinder seems to be worse. Cant even get through the first step, manual traditional bleed to each corner. The cylinder isn't able to push much/any fluid at all the hose coming directly from the cylinder. Has very little push nor suction when you place your finger over it.

Defective Master Cylinder? Any suggestions on a high quality one if you all think it's still the Master Cylinder?

Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stand by - I see the lever that comes out of the booster is fully out and we are thinking this might be the issue. Its not allowing fluid to flow because its extended too far and fluid cant get into the cylinder to begin with. Will report back once we get it sorted if this can help anyone in the future.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after the 3rd Master Cylinder which was designed a little differently, I have brakes again - barely!! Like the other thread here on Squishy brakes, I have to say there is still a problem. My 2003 D2, the brakes are rock solid and I feel confident with them. On this 2004, after a new rear caliper and rear brakes and disc's and master cylinder its a definite difference and these brakes need more work. Will continue the hunt unless anyone has some suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
My 2003 D2, the brakes are rock solid
You should investigate that one then cos as everybody confirmed in the other thread on a D2 they were not designed to be rock solid and i tried to explain why

1 - 12 of 12 Posts