Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Freelander has no brakelights and after starting engine accelerator functions until depressing brake pedal which deactivates accelerator. I have replaced brake pedal switches, checked bulbs and fuses, changed brake pads. Can someone share their thoughts for a resolution. Thanks

·
very disco
663 Posts
double posting is ill advised.

are you saying that after applying the brakes, the gas pedal no longer increases RPM or accelerates the vehicle?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
double posting is ill advised.

are you saying that after applying the brakes, the gas pedal no longer increases RPM or accelerates the vehicle?
Yes sir. I double posted with the thinking of reaching out to a larger group that may help me.My original was under Freelander only.

·
very disco
663 Posts
people on the forum will see the new post regardless of the subforum which you posted in.

do you have access to an LR friendly code scanner?

·
very disco
663 Posts
are you saying you received three codes... the two mentioned and one undefined?
if that's the case, it sounds like your scanner isn't LR friendly. what is the make/model?

·
very disco
663 Posts
you will need a scan tool which is specific to LR vehicles. generic scanners will give inaccurate and/or undefined codes. if you don't have access to a shop with a viable scanner, you can order a foxwell nt510 or better on amazon for pretty cheaply, probably less than the cost of a dealer diagnosis. plus, you'll be able to self-solve for years to come.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Latest finding is all functions well at cold start up, but after driving and warming up the brake deactivates accelerator.

·
very disco
663 Posts
So when it’s cold the car starts and stops fine, but after it warms up, then the issue occurs?

it would be incredibly helpful for others to help you, if you could obtain DTCs from the car with an LR specific scanner

·
very disco
663 Posts
In the meantime you may check the grounds near the tail lights and check the voltage from the brake switch (when vehicle is warm). There are clusters of ground points behind the driver kick panel as well.

if you remove the brake switch (attached to the pedal cluster above the brake pedal) this will remove the pedal action from the braking system. Then you can determine whether or not the issue is related to the brake electrical or the brake mechanical.

·
very disco
663 Posts
haha, that's quite an enormous omission. take your multimeter and test the + voltage at the brake switch to earth, and then also the various grounds in the driver's kick.

next check all of your grounds at and around the brake lights. some have said that using incorrect or non-OEM lamps can cause issues, but i've never found a bulb that didn't work properly.

i would be fairly certain then that if you disconnect or at least dislodge the brake switch, the car will stop just fine and not disrupt your accelerator. it seems likely that there is a short or open circuit in your brake electrical, and the ground/earth for your brake lamps is utilized by some computers as well that depend on your brake action.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I removed the brake light switch and the deactivation still occurs. I found that the brake sensor is causing the deactivation even though I have already replaced it.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts