Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i must comment,my wife wanted this 00 discovery II,i thought it was ugly
but a 4wd was its redeeming quality i thought, what a chunk of garbage,
i have never been punished for working on an automobile like this chunk,
every thing i touch falls apart,breaks,leaks,strips,rounds off,no repair goes unpunished,any service or fluid change turns into a nightmare today a coolant change, the air bleeder breaks in half i give up!!!! where do you find
the upper hose sunday at 4pm? the guy at napa laughed at me, i had to splice the hose with a tail pipe i hacksawed a joiner from! the british sure
left me impressed with their quality or say "lack of" keep your kippers,tea cozys, and autos on your side of the atlantic
or at least dump them at sea! no mas!no mas!

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Perhaps you need to get some more tools besides the hammer and chisel your using to do your repairs/tune ups with.

· Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
point counter point

well taken gentleman, i have 3 vintage muscle cars, an 04 gto(austrailian)and
i dont have problems with the four of them, the muscle cars average 20 years old each, i can cc cylinder heads,set up a 12'' rear, rebuild a posi unit'
maybe i need to think british? it aint the player its the game!
only the finest british automobile self destructing, with my help! tally ho!

· Registered
106 Posts
green00disc said:
well taken gentleman, i have 3 vintage muscle cars, an 04 gto(austrailian)and
i dont have problems with the four of them, the muscle cars average 20 years old each, i can cc cylinder heads,set up a 12'' rear, rebuild a posi unit'
maybe i need to think british? it aint the player its the game!
only the finest british automobile self destructing, with my help! tally ho!
i hear ya on that. I cant even find a trans dip stick in mine! Guess ill have to check at the fill plug. ;)

· Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
welch plug

i found out the hard way, there aint no dipstick silly me,i think monty python
hid it!welch plug me lad,the brittans have diguised it,what happened to the easy way? the new word for today can you say" lucas"? :lol:

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
A 'muscle car' that averages only 20 years old? That would be early eighties, and I can't think of anything built here in the 80s that fits that deffinition.
When I think of a muscle car I think of the 60s, like a 'real' GTO, 442, Boss Mustang, that sort of iron.

A guy smart enough to work of diffs ought to be smart enough to find the correct socket. No excuse for rounding of nuts. My daughter goes to school in FL, she's been doing her own oil changes since she began driving, maybe she could give you a few pointers.

I have to agree, British cars do have their 'peculiarities', enough to give even a bad mechanic some experience. Consider it a learning experience. Obviously, your wife doesn't share your, dare I say 'Taste' in cars. Take a chill pill, or, another Bud.

· Registered
674 Posts
I love the fact that their is always something to tinker with! Keeps the skin off my nuckles and the wife off my back if I am under the RR :bgreen:

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Jonesy said:
Keeps the skin off my nuckles and the wife off my back if I am under the RR :bgreen:
Ha! Skin off the knuckles huh? Have you tried changing the front 4 plugs on your Mondial? I had a Mondial Cab for 5 years, drove it a total of 4900 miles, and had to change the plugs every spring, since they loved to foul when not run for awhile. A guy with mits like a gorilla couldn't do it. Shoulda kept the 246. Don't ask me for investment advice, I drive LRs.

· Registered
86 Posts
An '85 muscle car? I had a quattro back then, would take a new Z28 off the line, top speed, on the track, ... Corvettes were in about the same performance envelope, sorry to derail the post a bit but ... ?

As far as your LR dissatisfaction, I have to agree to a point. I bought my truck off-lease because its resale was so horrible that I could have a nice truck for an extremely reasonable price. Its reliability has been very good for 72,000miles except a PS leak, it is not difficult for me to service, parts are a bit of a pain if you get outside of the standard belts and bulbs so you plan ahead for service but for the most part it has been as good as any US vehicle I've owned for reliability (which I know isn't saying much). Oh, and in a pinch, Autozone stocks or can order most parts that you commonly need.

The simple answer is that IMO British cars don't make the most practical daily drivers, buy a Toyota. If you want something that is a good on-road and very capable off-road truck with some personality and style, it is hard to beat the LR. If I were buying my mother a truck, I'd go with a toyota or even an exploder but I'd be bored to death.

I don't understand what you're breaking, rounding, or stripping in servicing the truck however, hasn't been my experience as everything I've serviced has come apart without much drama (and I live in the salt belt).

Best of luck with getting the truck finished, or selling if you so choose. I believe that LandRover truly has Monday and Friday trucks and you can get a bad one, perhaps you're just that lucky guy also (not quite caught up with the rest of the world's build quality assurance).

· Registered
674 Posts
Terry: I am fortunate enough to have the best mechanic I can think of having for my toys! Not only is he inexpensive but he is GOOD! Also a friend now. He has owned around 200+ different Ferrari's and many other exotics. As a matter of fact he is very well known as a "top master ferrari mechanic". So I don't deal with my plugs, I tried it once - gave up and paid the price while I was out on the road firing on 4 cylinders!!!

I love my RRC because I can move around my paws in the engine bay and it is just plain fun to do that....more importantly it enables me to give my son the opportunity to learn about engines, respect for vehicles and a mechanical know how!!!!

Here's to all of us that think alike!!!!!! :drink1: :drink1:

· Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
12 posts and counting!

a 70 gto 469 cubic convertible drag car 34 years old, a 94 ss s10 pick up
built 4.3 v6, 99 z28, 2 over built mid 80s covettes w big blocks automatic.A
2002 trans am LS1 AUTO WS6 CONVERTIBLE, A 2004 HOLDEN BUILT"GTO"
A FULL SNAP ON 3 LEVEL ROLL AROUND TOOL ASSORTMENT, ASE CERTIFIED
A/C AND ELECTRICAL,BY TRADE I MANAGE AN AUTO COLLISION CENTER FOR OVER 25 YEARS, AND THIS ROVER DRIVES ME TO DISTRACTION, CANT GET A SHOP MANUAL AT A BOOK STORE,A LIBRARY,OR EVEN A HAYNES OR CLIMAX
(CLYMER) MANUAL,THE DEALER SAID NO MANUALS,THIS VEHICLE NOW THAT
ITS NOT SUNDAY WHEN I WAS PISSED, IS LETS SAY "UNIQUE" AND REQUIRES
MORE ROUTINE MAINTANENCE, I GUESS THE MORE BARS OF SOAP NEEDED
THE MORE DIFFICULT IT IS TO REPAIR, I RATE THE DISCOVERY 5 BARS OF SOAP PER REPAIR, ONE BAR EQUALS 5 CUSS WORDS USED,
P.S. THANKS FOR THE HELP(REALLY) DISCOMAN AND OTHERS AND THANKS
FOR ALL THE COMMENTS!!! NEXT WEEKEND WHO KNOWS WHAT I WILL DO NEXT, NOTHING SCHEDULED FOR ALL MY "CARS" BUT THE TRANS TEMP LITE
CONTINUAL FLASH WHEN SHE DRIVES IT ONLY IS REALLY A PAIN!
PEACE OUT! COLOR ME GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :bgreen: ALSO I DONT DRINK!

· Registered
106 Posts
green00disc said:
A/C AND ELECTRICAL,BY TRADE I MANAGE AN AUTO COLLISION CENTER FOR OVER 25 YEARS, AND THIS ROVER DRIVES ME TO DISTRACTION, CANT GET A SHOP MANUAL AT A BOOK STORE,A LIBRARY,OR EVEN A HAYNES OR CLIMAX
THE MORE DIFFICULT IT IS TO REPAIR, I RATE THE DISCOVERY 5 BARS OF SOAP PER REPAIR, ONE BAR EQUALS 5 CUSS WORDS USED,
FOR ALL THE COMMENTS!!! NEXT WEEKEND WHO KNOWS WHAT I WILL DO NEXT, NOTHING SCHEDULED FOR ALL MY "CARS" BUT THE TRANS TEMP LITE
i hear ya now, im learing that these things have too many sensors and its all tied together, if one goes on, they all seem to want to go on.

· Registered
229 Posts
green00disc said:
if you cant figure out how to tighten bolts without them breaking off or how to change fluids someone needs to take your ASE cert away from you, i had no problem getting a haynes manual off the internet, hell it was here in 2 days...rovers are the same as working on any vehicle, and every vehicle has thier flaws...you want something really fun to work on? try to fab up a small block chevy into a japanese mazda rx7 retaining all the stock componets besides motor and tranny (gauges, driveline geometry, electrics ect the list goes on), now those are cus words...my rover has been very good to me, ive had to replace a few things but i cant see how anyone could have the problems you are...happy driving :drive:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.