Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I broke the important part of my key off the Fob and actually lost the blade at work somewhere and can not find it. I am 100 miles from a dealership so I hired a locksmith to cut me a key from code. worked in the door but not ignition. Called a dealership in Albany NY and they cut me a key from a Land Rover blank, got it today and it works in the door, but not the ignition. what are my options? New cylinder which will be close to $1000 after labor? Why aren't these keys working?

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
It's not uncommon to have a problem with getting a key cut for the ignition. You might be lucky if you go to a True Value Hardware store. They sell Ilco keys and can make copies. Ask for an RV4 key blank. Ask them to make a copy of your key from the dealer or locksmith. Have them take the key to the wire wheel on the cutting machine. Explain that the key they are copying is only working on the door and not the ignition. If you're lucky enough to get an old timer cutting the key for you he'll understand. The problem is that you haven't worn down the tumblers in the door lock as much as you have worn down those in the ignition. As a result the new key isn't matching up to the worn ignition switch.

If this doesn't work you may need to install a good used ignition switch.

Now, in the meanwhile, you can always disconnect the electrical portion of the ignition switch. It's the round black portion of the switch on the left of the ignition switch assembly with the wiring coming out of it. The ignition switch is held in place with two really small screws. Once the round ignition switch is removed from the assembly you can start the car with a flat head screwdriver. The round portion with the wiring leading back to the fuse box has a slot in it. Insert the screwdriver and crank like you would a key. The car will start and you'll be able to drive it until you get the key issue sorted.

If my instructions weren't clear enough, give me a call and I'll walk you through this so you can, at the very least, use your car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice. The dealership told me that the ignition switches have to be coded to my vin number, understandably they want to sell me one for $700, but a used one will work correct? I found an entire column for $80 at the junk yard with key.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
That's BS as far as coding is concerned. I've probably sold over 75 used DII ignition switches. I get keys in bulk from Ilco and have them cut by the guys at my local True Value. I cannot believe what liars these dealers are. Ant tech who works for a dealership that posts on this board should be ashamed of the way some if these dealers conduct themselves. Out and out LIARS.

You don't need the whole column. The assembly is on the column with just two shear bolts. They can be removed with a chisel or a dremel (cut a slot into the top of the shear bolt and remove with a flathead screwdriver ). Just make sure what wires you cut and where.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Paul, You rule! I cut a groove in the shear bolts and it worked like a charm. That was an easy swap out and went from a $700 part job plus labor to an $80 fix and a working Disco. If you ever are on the East coast I owe you a brew.
Peace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.