Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know the old joke about land rovers leaking but help me out on this one. I had my oil changed today and they told me the front and rear carriers are leaking (input and output seals). Along with my transfer case, and apparently the front is leaking pretty bad. I need some knowledge on this before I go into the stealership and lose all my money. I know some of it if not all of it will be covered under warranty but if ya'll could give me some idea of what price range Im looking at it would be appreciated. So far its been $5,100 in repairs and still going strong. Thank the lord for extended warranties. Ive also been told my steering wheel vibration at 70mph could be the rotoflex driveshaft in the front. Could all these problems be related and if they are is it from going off road or is this normal. I know NOTHING about service on these rovers. Thanks in advance for the replies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
green99rover said:
Ok so I know the old joke about land rovers leaking but help me out on this one. I had my oil changed today and they told me the front and rear carriers are leaking (input and output seals). Along with my transfer case, and apparently the front is leaking pretty bad. I need some knowledge on this before I go into the stealership and lose all my money. I know some of it if not all of it will be covered under warranty but if ya'll could give me some idea of what price range Im looking at it would be appreciated. So far its been $5,100 in repairs and still going strong. Thank the lord for extended warranties. Ive also been told my steering wheel vibration at 70mph could be the rotoflex driveshaft in the front. Could all these problems be related and if they are is it from going off road or is this normal. I know NOTHING about service on these rovers. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Front and rear carriers: I guess they mean the front and rear diffs? I just removed my rear diff and it took me about an hour to remove.

The main seals go bad and unfortunately it's a $20 part but you have to seperate the engine from the tranny... time consuming.

There is no rotoflex on the front driveshaft, the roto is on the rear. You can convert to a u-joint using a older RR driveshaft, flange and spacer.

Check your engine mounts and transmission mounts.

Good luck.
 

·
Wheeler
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
John C said:
The main seals go bad and unfortunately it's a $20 part but you have to seperate the engine from the tranny... time consuming.
Time consuming & hence VERY expensive. But I have found this to be over/misdiagnosed at dealership. They almost all leak after awhile, but often it's acceptable. The problem often seems worse than it is due to lose bolts on valve cover. I know 2 people (including my own dumb self) who stressed hard over some severe leakage that was simply a result of each of the valve cover bolts being loose by 1/2 to 3/4 a turn (!)

There is no rotoflex on the front driveshaft, the roto is on the rear. You can convert to a u-joint using a older RR driveshaft, flange and spacer.
Those front shafts tend to go on at 55-65k. Mine went at 64k and, asking around, found this to be very common.

Check your engine mounts and transmission mounts.
Sage advise.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well my warranty company is picking up the tab, the question is will they pay for ALL the work. But the warranty has been a life saver so far. Hopefully the Range Rover I just bought wont treat me like the disco has. Driving a Rover is truly an addiction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
For the steering wheel shimmy, have you made sure your tires are balanced? Have you checked the swivel preload? I'd think about those things before swapping out a driveshaft for a shimmy problem.

Yeah, where is the leak on the diff? At the part where the diff mounts to the axle casing or by the pinion seal?

Bogatyr
 

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
Joined
·
324 Posts
Is this for a Disco I or II? I just bought a series II and I was wondering what mechanical problems I should look out for. Course mine on ly has 42K on the clock but still I'd rather be prepared.
Thanks!
 

·
Wheeler
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
On DIIs, from what I've seen: keep an eye on front drive shaft. Leaks common (on all). Be a stickler for maint./fluids. Some minor electrical, particularly door locks. I had zero problems for 1st 50k while under warranty. No on-road related problems yet. You have a great ride. I have 65k HARD miles on my '01 DII & could not be happier. For street, after-market exhaust goes a long way for a little more ummmf. Plenty of threads on off-road mods to read thru but even in stock form your DII will rock on off road trails under 5-rated. Only hang up might be your front bumper spoiler slow & smart driving can get you thru. Adhere strictly to maint. schedule, change oil every 3500 & you are set.
 

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
Joined
·
324 Posts
SCSL said:
On DIIs, from what I've seen: keep an eye on front drive shaft. Leaks common (on all). Be a stickler for maint./fluids. Some minor electrical, particularly door locks. I had zero problems for 1st 50k while under warranty. No on-road related problems yet. You have a great ride. I have 65k HARD miles on my '01 DII & could not be happier. For street, after-market exhaust goes a long way for a little more ummmf. Plenty of threads on off-road mods to read thru but even in stock form your DII will rock on off road trails under 5-rated. Only hang up might be your front bumper spoiler slow & smart driving can get you thru. Adhere strictly to maint. schedule, change oil every 3500 & you are set.

Great! That makes me feel better about buying it. :wave: I can't wait to go pick it up!



I can't wait... even though its for the wife. ;)
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top