Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I thought I would adjust the front brakes because they were pulling unevenly. However whilst I was loosening the adjuster nut the lobe that adjusts the brake shoes sheered off. :mad: I can't understand why it should sheer off during loosening. :confused

Has this happened to anybody before? I wonder if this is a weak design or perhaps at some stage it had been overtightened. I just hope they are not difficult to find.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Your not the only one out there Kevin. I broke mine but that was because I put the shoes on upside down and a bit too much force on the adjusting nut(it was a hot day and I was becoming quite angry with the bitch cause I was ment to be camping) after replacing a wheel drum. To fix it, I took the break shield off and and brazed it back together. the teeth were very worn so I tried giving them as bit of a roughen up with the grinder, didnt really seem to help muchj but it does the trick. Another great example of a job that should take and hour taking half of day.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Readily available replacements can be bought, new, from Wise Owl.

go to www.wiseowlparts.com

They are easy to put in and work well. My only complaint is they require a 9/16 wrench to adjust, the originals use an 11/16 wrench, so now I have to take 2 wrenches under the car with me when I want to make an adjustment. Not much of a worry is it? I put high temp copper-plate on the shafts when installing the new ones (Never-sieze) to prevent any future broken ones.

(No! I'm not on the payroll.)

Greg S

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.