Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Recently I had my air bleed valve in my "Hose Water Outlet To Cylinder Head" deteriorate and fall apart. Coolant went spraying everywhere. I replaced it with a few barbed brass fittings (actually I failed the first time because I didn't know how to get the air out so the shop finished the job for me). Before doing this I tried removing all the old plastic barbed pieces that were broken inside the coolant hose. I managed to get all of it out except one of the barbed end pieces - it was seriously wedged in there so, it's still in there :serious. I should have just kept working at it until it came out, because now I can't stop thinking about the consequences. Will it eventually break up and clog somewhere? Attached is a picture of the broken part and what I replaced it with, and the hose replacement I'd like to get from roverparts. The red circle is where the broken part is, but I couldn't get it out of the hose. Here is the hose I'm talking about Hose Water Outlet To Cylinder Head (Genuine Part # LR006158 ) - Land Rover radiator hoses from Atlantic British.

Attachments

· Registered
86 Posts
I have an extra one...

I have that exact hose/hoses and bleeder screw for the LR3 I'm trying to get rid of. Brand new never used. See your PM. :)

· Registered
55 Posts
If it is barbed and not moving it is probably OK in there - but I had similar issue with plastic coolant connector on my porsche - solution was just to cut the hose with utility knife (put small block of wood behind it to avoid damaging anything else while you cut) behind the area where the plastic bits were stuck and reconnect with the brass connector - typically there will be at least an inch or so of "extra" hose - so this will be OK - just check you have enough free hose before you cut so it will reach and not rub against anything. Just remember, you will have to "bleed" again after doing this. (Towel around the area and catch can of somesort can help from getting coolant everywhere - but the bleed procedure on mine was very easy and quick. (make sure there is some extra coolant in expansion bottle (Pentosin SF (50/50% mixed with distilled water from drug store or auto parts store) is good alternative to dealer coolant), open valve, idle engine until no more air is coming out, close valve - turn off engine)

· Registered
55 Posts
BTW - this is why it is a good idea to preventatively replace that plastic coolant tee at 5 years or 60K miles - cheap part, easy job and will prevent you become stranded at side of road. Keep the old one as a spare. I saw one guy report a "trail" fix for broken tee - with BIC pen stuck in both ends of the hose :) Pretty smart ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.