Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased used 03 Discovery II mechanic special.
Previous owner stated bad head gasket job, and it would not hold coolant. I had it towed, got it started, small leak at waterpump.
Replaced the waterpump, hoses, and thermostat. Drove fine for 3 weeks.
Then one day it overheated, i pulled over and noticed coolant in tank bubbling and streaming out small tube.
I let it cool down, re-bled, ran it idle for 20 min, no overheating, so continued driving.
5min later, same overheating again. repeated cool down and bleeding twice to get it home.
Once home, another overheat, and then white smoke out the tailpipe.

I most likely will need head gaskets replace, although I would like to know...

What are the main causes of coolant bubbling in expansion tank...???
combustion gas in coolant ?
from leaking head gasket ?
slipped liner?
cracked block?
or something else that causes bubbling coolant in tank...
Please help...

...and glad to be back in Rover Land again .
second forum post, if you have seen it, but all help is greatly appreciated

·
Expert Crate Digger
399 Posts
Sounds like a definite blown head gasket mate.
it’s easy to complete but time consuming.

Reactions: Wargoob

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Yes. The number one complaint with DII's is blown head gaskets. The second may well be Three Amigo lights. And just to make sure you know - the stock DII temp gauge does not rachet up slowly from cold to normal to overheated. It stays in normal until the last minute and then magically hits the Red. Many times that means you have overheated to the point that you have blown a head gasket. Sounds like your current problem.

So be sure to get a third party temp gauge. Many use one that plugs into the OBDII socket.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah, Head Gasket time.

I chased that exact thing on my 90' Rangie....not fun but it was easier on that motor.

Take your time and rehearse via youtube videos, it can be done....great news is that you do it correct and you be thankful for the next 100+ miles til something else like a sunroof leak happens hahaha

·
Super Moderator
2,322 Posts
Welcome to the forum
If head gaskets were just recently done and it’s still not sealed then you have a few possibilities.
Yes it’s possible that it was not done correctly the first time but you will need to disassemble it carefully and methodically.
A common error is misalignment of the lower intake gasket but that would be an external leak issue likely.
Improper torquing or reuse of head bolts is another possibility and cause of reoccurring issues.
When you get to the point of head removal inspect closely for signs of a leak source.
Warp check the heads and have them checked by a reputable machine shop, pressure tested etc.
If nothing is found then you have a deeper issue such as a leaking liner.
Liners can leak without showing any visible defect and a “slipped liner” may only be moved a few thousands of an inch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I will report back after I get the heads removed...
Any suggestions on the better head gasket brand ? or to use additional sealer ?

·
Super Moderator
2,322 Posts
Warped heads will never seal warped block deck same
If you can’t physically find a reason don’t simply blame it on “ a inferior gasket “
If nothing else explains it it’s likely a dropped sleeve

Reactions: 15mpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
@logicmike44 It is all about the heads as @redtruck12 said. The last person who did heads on my Disco skipped the truing. The heads were so far out the were not even in spec when I pulled them, they cheated with gasket seal which will never hold up long term.

You need to get the heads checked and trued it is not optional

·
Premium Member
2001 Discovery Series II SE7, w/SAI and without SAI
394 Posts
Last time I had a cracked block, it would bubble in the coolant BUT it would start to overheat right away upon warmup temperatures, so it's likely not the block but don't rule it out till you get it broken down. The fact the previous owner said bad headgasket job is enough reason to break it down completely and figure out what's going on. Take this chance to also do a tune-up (plugs/wires etc) while you're breaking it down to the HG.

If you pull the heads off and have them tested and they need milled, make sure they stay in spec (RAVE gives those tolerances). You can really only true-up these heads once before they are too tight. I had to get another set for this reason.

You did the right thing replacing the cooling system BUT you are going to need a new coolant reservoir cap since it overheated on you.

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
Yea... anytime you go into the block, go ALL IN. You will kick yourself in the ass if you reassemble everything and have tear it down yet again.

even if the work is strictly preventative, it’ll prevent you from having to it next year or the following.

Reactions: redtruck12

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well started the HG job today.
Already signs previous job was not proper...

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
Isn’t that how it comes from the factory? It’s the right color 😂

·
Registered
671 Posts
😳 WOW 😳

Good lord, this is why I have the rule of "if you didn't replace or test it....REPLACE IT"

I just will never get how many misguided people just mess with something and make it worse.

Good luck and just paint by numbers approach here and it'll all come together....and then wait for sunroofs to leak haha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Day 2... almost there...only spend a few hours at a time in the evening.
1st time seeing a "zip-tie" on a hose...:cautious:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...down to the lower intake today.
The lower intake bolts on the passenger side were not torqued properly, two of them did not require a socket(only hand tight)
When I moved it forward to disconnect the fuel line, I heard coolant drip to the ground.
Also previous mechanic left a small bolt and tire cap underneath the back of the valley gasket :|
Is it normal to have coolant in this area during removal...?

Tomorrow, rockers, SAI, exhaust and heads. Front SAI removal was smooth, the rear spinning. Will need to hold inner to tackle the rear tube.

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
The closer you get, the worse it becomes

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
363 Posts
Yeah that’s rough. Previous guy in there clearly didn’t really know what they were doing, which sucks considering that those Atlantic British videos aren’t hard to find and are really easy to follow to do that job correctly, even for a somewhat inexperienced DIY mechanic like myself

·
Super Moderator
2,322 Posts
Yes it’s normal to have some coolant come out from the passages in the heads, especially if you didn’t pre drain the block.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...drivers side head removed. The gasket appears OK, although seems two of passages were clogged.
Pics below...

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
169 Posts
Based on what you’ve found so far, I suspect you putting it back together correctly will solve most of your issues. ARP head studs are by far the way to go by the way!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts