Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The type to cop a Range along with all the feature
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go to put my crank into the block with all the bearings layed out, the center thrust bearing is just too tight of a squeeze. If i put some pressure downward for it to slide in, it will just scuff the sides of the bearing, lightly. I almost just need to buff off the littlest amount to get it in. I tried the freezer, but I need like a DEEEP freeze. The freezer defiantly helped.

·
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
took some 600 grit and rubbed the bearing while on a piece of glass. rubbed both sides even and re froze the bearing. the crank slid in, but somehow i nicked the bearing in the process. buying new ones ha.

·
Registered
408 Posts
OMG.

Don't sand the bearings.

It's a very tight fit, but it will fit. Some assembly lube wouldn't hurt get things seated.

·
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been using assembly lube! Lots of it! The freezing helped, but man, I am really nicking the bearings by forcing the crank down in. The crank is not scuffed at all. I got my bearings from the wedge shop in taunton mass and he said I might have to mallet it in... but man it seems not right.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have been using assembly lube! Lots of it! The freezing helped, but man, I am really nicking the bearings by forcing the crank down in. The crank is not scuffed at all. I got my bearings from the wedge shop in taunton mass and he said I might have to mallet it in... but man it seems not right.
Wait... the thrust bearings are built into one of the main bearing pairs, I'm pretty sure of it. This is what you have, correct?

·
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait... the thrust bearings are built into one of the main bearing pairs, I'm pretty sure of it. This is what you have, correct?

Yes, I bought those exact bearings. The thrust bearing is the center bearing, and there is a half for the block and a half for the piece that holds the crank to the block. It is just too tight of a squeeze on the sides, and I am wondering just how much force I need to get it in.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Did you buy standard sized bearings or oversized bearings?

It sounds like maybe the latter. I have a set of Britpart standard sized bearings that you're welcome to (doubt I'll ever have another RRC), but I won't be back in the states for another 5 or 6 weeks to send them off.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Have you measured the clearance? You should be able to tell with mic readings. Im with X, you must have wrong sizes somewhere. If not, heat the bearing with a heat gun and cool the crank, even just that one end in a cooler or dry ice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
shouldn't be that tight. according to the manual you should have 0.003-0.010 inches of end float (clearance). if it is that tight there is obviously something that isn't right.

Attachments

·
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shouldn't be that tight. according to the manual you should have 0.003-0.010 inches of end float (clearance). if it is that tight there is obviously something that isn't right.

Where is this info from?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts