Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have a complete interior in my 2000 Disco II, I can start working on the exterior. My bumper cover has a number of cracks in it. There is no way I'm popping $750 for a new bumper cover on a $1700 truck, and even the price of used ones at $350 or so has me wincing. I haven't seen any good ones at the local pick-n-pull, either.

I'm pretty sure this one can be repaired, however. It doesn't have to be perfect, but presentable would be nice. The system you use depends on the material the cover is made from, which should be stamped somewhere inside the bumper.

But to save a little time and so I don't have to remove it before I have the supplies to do the job, does anyone know exactly what these covers are made from, and the best system to weld/repair them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What did you finally use?

wmsimpson - how did you finally repair your bumper. I see that someone recommended welding, but welding plastic seems, well... uh...

I was thinking of taking it off and inserting some sort of plastic support panel behind the broken areas, applying some sort of filler on the front, sanding it smooth and repainting (much like a drywall repair, but with different materials). Like you said, not perfect, but imperceptible from the standard glance at the front. I have cracks in the black part and the white part of the plastic bumper.

Thanks!

My damage is similar to this:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/118762-FS-2003-Landrover-Discovery-2-S-in-Austin-TX
{ If it ain't broke, I fixed it... }

1 - 3 of 3 Posts