Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!! I will be a newbe Rover owner within the week. I am interested in purchasing a rover in Seattle Wa. It's a 2000 Discovery ll with 42,000 miles. I plan on purchasing an extended warranty for it. The dealer, deals with Buyers Choice for there warranties. It's a 4 year, 48,000 mile warrantyw/ a $100 ded. It's considered Bumper to Bumper. And I take the repairs to my local dealership and just pay the 100.00. Also covers, roadside, towing, and traveling ( if something happens to happen while I'm out of town, it covers my hotel expense. ) All this for $1750. Sounds like a pretty good deal, since I checked into Warranties 4 Wheels. Which was the same thing except unlimited mileage and was $2450. So has anyone heard of, or gone with Buyers Choice? Thanks again!! (p.s.) I plan on buying my Discovery next week, so any feedback before then would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!! :drive: undefined

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Have you asked your dealer for Rovers extended warranty, it is probably the best.
By the way, watch the wording,Bumper to Bumper", cause they are not even close to that.
2 years ago i bought an extended aftermarket warranty covering 7 years or 100,000 with a $0 ded. for $3100, this is really the only way to go. In the lasy 2 years my repairs offset the purchase price of the warranty and I have 40,000 miles to go.
If you can't get a factory warranty at least get the one with the unlimited mileage. Just remember to read the small print, cause there can be many restrictions in the form of items not covered by the coverage so ask to read the contract first.
By the way, I used to sell those policys as well as being a service writer and manager so I have some experience with these.
Mike J.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What DEFINENTLY needs to be covered?

undefined Thanks Mike!!! i actually only plan on having it for 3 years at the most. so i should be fine with the mileage. I plan to upgrade by then... if everything goes as planned : ) There going to fax me a copy of the warranty. Any specific things i should definently look for that are included? so I don't get screwed!! Thanks AGAIN!!!

An excited, newbe, Land Rover owner!!!
~jen~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
undefined oh, P.S. it's not through a Rover Dealership. But all the repairs, through this warranty, can be done there. The Dealership wants a HELL of alot more for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will post this message again

Unfortunately, I have some experience with this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased our 1999 4.6 off of our lease and had signed up with a supposedly reputible third party warranty company (WarrantyGold) that very quickly went bankrupt. While I lost some money, I had not paid for most of the service contract. This was the bad part.

Now for the good part.

As I had not yet reached the end of the factory warranty, I purchased the Land Rover Assured service contract. Three additional years and 25,000 additional miles cost about $2600 plus tax. I thought this was a bit expensive at the time. Boy was I wrong.

Here is a list of the things that have been paid for under the service contract, and my understanding of what the repairs would have cost at the dealer. Obviously, I would have had the service done elsewhere, so the actual out of pocket cost would have been less.

1. Replace EAS compressor and some other various EAS components. $1000
2. Replace head gaskets. $2000
3. Diagnose porous engine block. New Short Block installed. $8000 (This seems a bit high, but is what the dealer told me it would have cost. They only use new, genuine parts)
4. Replace heater core $1000 (mostly labor. Additionally, after they took the entire dash off, when replacing it they tightened all of the bolts, no more rattles)

Most importantly, other than the inconvenience of waiting (especially for the short block) for people from the service contract company to approve the repairs (during which time I had a nice new disco for a loaner) I never paid more than the $100 deductible. There was never a part or repair that was not covered. I think it would not be possible for a Land Rover program to claim that they would not cover a part in a Land Rover that they clearly knew was there. Third parties can always claim to not cover a part, as you have noted.

The result of my experience is that I believe there are only two options. Either buy the extended service contract offered by the manufacturer (check this if the dealer offers you a service contract to make sure it is from the manufacturer), or pay for repairs out of pocket. While the manufacturer contracts may seem more expensive up front, if you are buying the contract in the first place, you want to be covered for repairs. If one repair is not covered by the third party contract, I would guess all of the savings over the manufacturer contract will disappear.

Good luck with the repairs.

Gordon

I will never buy an extended warranty from other than the factory.

Gordon

·
Registered
28 Posts
Furthermore

As has been said here many times, if you are going to buy a warranty and have the repairs done at the dealer, CALL THE DEALER FIRST AND ASK THEM ABOUT THE WARRANTY COMPANY. It doesn't really matter what the warranty company says. If you have warranty work done and the LR dealer will not accept the warranty, you will have to pay and be reimbursed. If your warranty company then refuses, you are out of luck.

You want a warranty from a company that the LR dealer has dealt with before, and thinks is good. You want the LR dealer to be on your side, if necessary, to fight with the warranty company to cover certain repairs. While a third party warranty might be cheaper up front, be very careful what you are buying.

Finally, you say you will only have the car three years. A LR Assured Extended Warranty will likely result in a slightly higher resale value for the car, allowing you to recover some of the additional cost.

Good luck.

Gordon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts