Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to join the Freelander club! Have wanted one for a while and seen a 2000 1.8 Xi. Checking the net for owners comments there seems to be major problems with earlier petrol engines, head gaskets going etc. Does anyone know if this is an earlier model? What years are affected? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Ta.

· Registered
64 Posts
Hi
What sort of mileage and Stealer (****, i mean Dealer!) History has the vehicle got? Where are you from ? If you can Private Message me with the vin details and check out the history for you.
Just be carefull with high mileage vehicles with little or no service history.
Hope this helps
Steve

· Registered
64 Posts
I certainly would at least spend some money on getting the head gasket changed as a matter of course, it may seem a waste of cash but believe me it isnt, i've a 1999 1.8 in at the moment with about the same mileage needing a new engine due to overheating/head gasket problems, also maybe worth checking the temp sender and gauge and having it replaced, it was another reason the cars were having problems. Owner/drivers werent aware of overheating problems because of dodgy gauges, although i'm pretty sure this was a very very early problem with them.
Like Trev says, go for a TD4 or V6 if possible.
Get back to me asap with the Vin and i'll check if its had any warranty work done on it.
Cheers

· Registered
3 Posts
be warned

Architect said:
I'm looking to join the Freelander club! Have wanted one for a while and seen a 2000 1.8 Xi. Checking the net for owners comments there seems to be major problems with earlier petrol engines, head gaskets going etc. Does anyone know if this is an earlier model? What years are affected? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Ta.
do not bye 98" or 99" there is major problems with engine block (cracking) be warned do not bye. you will be sorry! you are best of with a td4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.