Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have just recently started to toy around with the idea of owning a Rangie. So far from reading and what my pocket can afford, I am looking to get a Classic, 3.9EFI.

Are there any things I should specifically be looking out for. Also any owner experiences would be appreciated. Lastly an idea on fuel consumption would be appreciated. I currently own a Series III 109 pickup, so it cant be any worse.

Regards

Jayce

· Registered
49 Posts
My '89 RR . . .

gets about 16 mpg. I don't think that's to bad (we have an F350 that gets 7 mpg - that's very bad)

When we bought my RR we checked the carfax report and the only thing that showed up was the odometer quite working at 100,000 - but that's typical. The guy who owned it previously had kept all of the reciepts/work orders and there were never any major problems. We've had major starting/stalling problems since we bought it, but that's about to get fixed. We still haven't bought the shop manual (I'm going to get it soon) but my husband has gotten to know the vehicle quite well while trouble shooting it's issues. My neighbor owned one way back when and advised us not to buy our's because they were expensive to fix, but so far we haven't spent any more money fixing things than we have for our '87 Suzuki Samurai - I think that's just a matter of oppinion and if you love this vehicle you won't really care - it is so worth it.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
First off...great choice:clap: .... I have had many great experiences with mine..... To many to list...Here is a site with pics of it and me http://www.cardomain.com/ride/735661 I will say watch out for 93 - 95 with the air suspension......My family has had bad luck there.... Other than that the typical Power steering leak, oil leak etc.... I pull my camper, 4-wheel, drive in horible blizzards...I love my RRC....... I get about 15 MPG City and about 19 MPG Highway........ I have to many stories to tell just one...but check out my site...will give you a few stories in pictures!!!

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Funrover said:
First off...great choice:clap: .... I have had many great experiences with mine..... To many to list...Here is a site with pics of it and me http://www.cardomain.com/ride/735661 I will say watch out for 93 - 95 with the air suspension......My family has had bad luck there.... Other than that the typical Power steering leak, oil leak etc.... I pull my camper, 4-wheel, drive in horible blizzards...I love my RRC....... I get about 15 MPG City and about 19 MPG Highway........ I have to many stories to tell just one...but check out my site...will give you a few stories in pictures!!!
Kind of off the topic of this thread, but Funrover checked your site out cool pics! Plus you gave me an idea for dealing with the issue of my bigger tires rubbing on the inside fender by the rear door( took a few chucks out of my tires last time out)! Thanks and cool site!:drink1:

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Badger1 said:
Kind of off the topic of this thread, but Funrover checked your site out cool pics! Plus you gave me an idea for dealing with the issue of my bigger tires rubbing on the inside fender by the rear door( took a few chucks out of my tires last time out)! Thanks and cool site!:drink1:

Thanks...Glad you liked it!!!! The tire rub was killing my tread but i didn't want to chop a lot of..I like how it looks...so that little chop did what I needed to do!!! Plus you can't tell when the door is shut..

Hey Jayce....What are your plans with the RRC?...... If you have a family and do a fair amount of road trips try to find an LWB....There is a lot more leg room for the rear passengers!

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Funrover, I do have a family of four, my kids are 2 and 1 respectively. A couple of road trips a year, is what we are aiming for. Originally bought my Series III for this purpose, but a little too rugged for a young family travelling far.

Wanting to do one the local trips here. A place called Sani Pass which takes you from South Africa to Lesotho. The gradient is fairly steep. It rises 1000feet for ever Mile for four miles. Hairpins are so tight you have to have be good with engaging reverse. Thought I would attach a picture. You can see all the hairpins near the top.

I must admit that the RRC bug has bit me from no where, and look forward to getting hold of one.:D

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Well if your kids are young you may not need the LWB.....With tight hairpins the regular RRC would be better.....I really do love mine and have been impressed many times...The bug bit me from nowhere too.....I say go with it, Great pic by the way!!!!!

· Registered
17 Posts
I say go for it. I had always wanted a range rover and for many years I looked around trying to find a good truck. I finally found one, just this past november. She is a 1993 county lwb, black with dark tan interior. The only thing I regret is not getting one sooner!

· Registered
49 Posts
What a beautiful photo

Jayce . . . that is such a beautiful place!

My RR is the standard length and I've got two little kids in car seats in the back. I've actually snuggled in between the two while my husband drove down the road. I'm short-ish so I was pretty cumfy back there.

We haven't gotten out much since my rover has had a lot of starting issues lately, but when we have it's been great. My kids are so happy in my RR, I think it has something to do with the low vibration of the vehicle. The only thing I would recommend with little people is that you tint the back windows if they aren't already. For some reason the sun is always hitting my kids in weird places, so I tinted the back windows and now they're really happy. Plus it keeps those annoying looky-lues from peering in your windows when your out shopping, etc. That is the one and only thing that I don't like about owning a classic RR, people rubber neck when you're driving down the road . . . geez, they ought to just take a picture or buy there own.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
:D
CurvyRover said:
people rubber neck when you're driving down the road . . . geez, they ought to just take a picture or buy there own.

Sorry..... LOL...I am one of them...I wave and smile too though...LOL.....:D
I always look and wave at other rovers.....

Jayce, I would recomend getting an RRC....they are just a great 4x4...I feel safe it it, my girlfriend also feels really secure in it... another benefit that i was told today was the view....The truck itself is not that high but you are ablt to see when drivingin the city... I noticed while off-roading I can see a lot and there aren't many blindspots.....The only problem I have is that I only own 1 rover....:D

· Registered
22 Posts
LR's for kids!

Jayce said:
Hi Guys

I have just recently started to toy around with the idea of owning a Rangie.
Are there any things I should specifically be looking out for.
I have a 2 year old and an almost one year old. My wife really liked the Discovery II for the rear jump seats (forward facing) and the additional room over the Disco I. Our youngest fits in a rear facing child seat in the middle of the rear passenger seats (leans between our front seats). Our oldest gets the rear jump seats with a booster seat. He loves the panoramic view!:)

Now, I LIKED THE RANGIE CLASSIC so I bought one. It is a 92 short wheel base which has regular coil springs. It will be awesome for the Canadian winters. However it is a little tight for space for the kids in the rear, with the rear facing seat.... and my oldest likes to kick the rear of the seat.

If I could find a LWB as nice as this truck I might go that way.... the extra room in the rear seats would be nice for the kids. The drawbacks are they are bigger, heavier and have a larger engine to compensate for the extra girth.

With a Classic, you simply cannot go wrong. They are extremely rugged and reliable if they have had a kind maintenance schedule prior to you owning it.

I really like the looks of the truck, especially with a bush bar on it! Plus it looks great in the dark green/tan leather.... LSE trim package.

I would say buy the best example you can afford and don't be in a hurry to buy... good luck with your search!!!!!!!!!!! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.