Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm finally ready to pull the trigger. A year ago I found a guy who runs a discovery only shop nearby. He buys em cheap, fixes what needs fixing and sells them. He also fixes them for owners obviously. So now that I'm ready I call him to see what he's working on. He has the exact color combo I'm looking for and he's fixing it up for himself. So it's in good condition outside - two little dimple dents, and 2-3 little rust bubbles above windshield. He says he'll sand those out and repaint the area. Interior is fully functioning with pop out touch screen, dvd with monitors in the headrests. I told him I wanted the SE7 and he said he already bought jumps seats and the needed parts to install in the back. Also has opened all door panels to replace crappy window regulators with welded on metal mounts instead of the plastic.
He completely redoing the engine, replacing all replaceable parts with new, fixing the common problem areas and having it machined and polished, all new hoses, etc.
New brakes and rotors. I was planning on just a body lift but have been 90% convinced to go with suspension lift. He'd charge $8-900 to do that he said but I didn't ask what brand. I think I'd want OME.
And he's also going to paint graying fenders black again. Oh, and a new headliner. He explained how he gets his parts direct from UK and if someone buys his cars he only charges labor and what the part cost which is way less than other parts dealers. I feel he is a really good and honest dude.
I can't remember exactly but it has around 115k miles +/- 5k.
Grand total with body lift is $8,000. I think with suspension lift add another $900.
I have been reading forums, articles and watching videos for a year now and feel I know what I'm getting into. I know basic maintenance and am a quick learn how to do more intensive stuff as well.
So...what do you think of price? I've been seeing comparable go for the same $7k up to $15,000 but usually less done to them.
And pardon my vocab on my description as I don't know it all but I understand it when I hear it. Ha

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
The most important thing you need to do is take it some other place and have them do a pressure test. Blown head gaskets are a major problem for the DII.
Sorry but this makes ABSOUTELY NO SENSES

This vehicle is being sold with a resealed engine correct?

Tyl604 I totally disagree
Are you recommending that it go to a local garage and have a completely resealed, machined and basically rebuilt engine for a leak test?
If the guy selling it is locally known and knows what he is doing why the hell would this be your ONLY recommendation?

Blown head gaskets MAY be a common issue but so are numerous other things, driveshafts, ball joints, suspension wear etc. Etc.

If riley s has done his homework, read up on things to look out for on these trucks and researches the reputation of the seller, then what else can someone like you or I possibly offer him? Not much :eek

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
And yes 180 deg. Stat and a gauge that reads true temperature ad definitely things you want to have.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yep. After all is complete and before taking ownership you should take it someplace not affiliated with the seller and have it checked out. The last thing any purchaser should do is only take the word of a seller. Refer to a recent thread called something like DII Owned 72 Hours for the experience of someone who did not have it checked out by a third party.

Or as they say ... buyer beware.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.