Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got 5 of them I am looking at locally. 2006-2008. I've purchased plenty of used cars in my lifetime and know the usual stuff to look for. What I am not sure about is the air suspension.

I've test driven all of them. Some of them let out air when you turn the car off, some don't. Is there any set way this is supposed to happen? Can you detect any bad or failing air suspension components beforehand? Like if I were to bring it in for inspection? Or will that be impossible to determine?

How noisy should the compressor be?

I'd like to try to buy the one that has the most life left in the suspension, but maybe I'm wishing for something that is impossible to determine?

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the biggest indicator when the compressor will go is amount of km on the vehicle. They usually go after 90k. Its not sudden ttho it'll spit out faults on the dash first. Also they are super easy to swap out but the part is expensive

·
Registered
210 Posts
They normally lower in the back once you turn it off and close the doors. How much the compressor runs on startup can vary but the general concensus seems to be that it shouldn't run much more than 45 seconds. My wife's 08 sport seems to always run less than my 08 LR3 for some reason but both are still certified and have been inspected by the dealer and are running fine. A competent Rover tech should be able to diagnose failed suspension components if you pay them to look over the vehicle. Something like a compressor that "might" be on it's way out get's harder to tell.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
Yeah, they should exhaust some air when you get out. If I'm hauling people around, like a bunch of us at work going to lunch at the same time, when everyone gets out the car "farts" because the self leveling features of the suspension added more pressure with a full load, and lets it back out when everyone gets out.

Mine still has the old Hitachi compressor on it (maybe not the original one), with a new dryer, and I cannot really hear it with the doors closed and the a/c running. Windows down on a nice day and you can hear it, but it shouldn't be LOUD. There is a lot of sound insulation in the box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts