Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a 95 V8i 3.9 Disco today, I was impressed, but there were a couple of things I was unsure about (having not owned a Disco before) They were: slight grinding when selecting second gear, low coolant level in expansion tank and a good covering of oil over the lower front engine.

Can anyone give me some advice on these faults and perhaps further checks I should do before deciding to buy this Disco?
:dunno: :confused

·
Registered
51 Posts
Grinding in 2nd.. not sure.
Low coolant... could just mean it needs topping off...leaky hose..
Oil covering lower front... sure, she's leaking. Most do. Depends on how much..

Most important things to check in my opinion:

1. Service records. She is probably high mileage, make sure all services have been done and stamped. If services have been neglected, problems will result.

2. Check with a flashlight inside the oil filler. You don't want to see black gunk. For a well used, but well treated engine you should see golden brown to darkish brown.

If you buy it, change all the fluids asap. Engine Oil, diffs, axles, gearbox, swivel ball housings... Be prepared to to do maintenance, these trucks like to be taken care of, and will pay you pack in spades..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Itsounds like the syncros are worn. This is very common of R380 transmissions. If you speed match the engine and tranny it won't grind. I did this on mine and it was not really a problem. But it all depends on what your driving style and needs are. Replacing the 5speed can be quite expensive.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i have a 95 disco, 3.9L, what is speed matching?

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
appstatedisco said:
i have a 95 disco, 3.9L, what is speed matching?
This only applies to stick shift vehicles. It came from the old days when cars did not have syncronized gearboxes. Let's say you are in 4th gear and you want to downshift to 3rd. You would depress the clutch, and while you are shifting into 3rd you would match the revs with your righ foot on the gas pedal. That way when you put the lever into 3rd gear the revs were matched and it would slide in perfectly.

This is most commonly done in racing. It allows you to downshift and put the car right back into the power band. I do it all the time on all sticks I drive.. Just a habit, although I have never owned a car with bad syncros (knocks on his head for luck)..

Serg

·
Registered
528 Posts
my mustang is a stick, whenever i downshift i like the immediate seat-of-the-pants acceleration, never had a problem w/ a bad powerband, guess thats the price you have to pay with a mustang :lol:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Fish: before you get near deciding on purchasing this vehicle, ask yourself these penetrating questions: Am I willing to do a lot of regular servicing myself - these vehicles are built very differently from a Toyota - you have to watch everything weekly. You have to change fluids very often; for example the engine coolant should be changed yearly and perhaps the thermostat every second year. Change the engine oil 3 or 4 times a year even if if has very few miles. Get the truck carefully sprayed with an antirust oil yearly ($100 for 'Rustcheck'). Expect leaks in and out of the vehicle - keep the undercarriage clean so you can monitor leaks from the front and back of the engine, the transmission and tranfer case . The engine needs to be run hard regularly in an attempt to keep the exhaust valve stems clean - use only the best premium fuel with detergents in it. Expect certain parts to fail - for example the stupid viscous drive on the engine fan needs to be replaced with a good electric fan. The door locks and alarm system are truly horrible on these trucks and have caused many owners to sell their vehicle out of frustration. Sunroofs nearly always leak-hopefully the Disco you are considering doesn't have the sunroofs. Is there a good junkyard near you that has a supply of Discos? Do you have 'the gift of the gab?'-if you do, make friends with one of the mechanics at the local deatership and get advice from him before each repair. Our local dealer wanted to charge us $4000 for redoing the heads on our 96 4 liter. We did it ourselves in our driveway for $700, although it took almost a month! There were big design improvements starting in 96 to 97 production year, find out if the 95 has been upgraded to the new valves, better rear engine seal etc. - this will save you thousands. In summary if you enjoy tinkering and offroading, this truck can be excellent. If you just want to boulevard hop and drive to church and the club, buy something more in the 'automotive appliance' category. Cheers, Pavel.

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Good advice Pavel.

Fish, as with any "used" vehicle you must be prepared to do some regular maintenance yourself unless you have unlimited $$. Especially with a used 4x4 of any make/model. I tell my kids the same things :D that Pavel told you.

If you treat it right, the Discovery will be a great rig for you both on & off road and look good in the process :clap:

By the way, welcome to the forum! :buttrock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.