Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a range rover from craigslist (link: MECHANIC'S SPECIAL: PRICED TO SELL! 2000 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE )

And I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback on it. He says that he blew the head gasket and drove it for about five miles, so I'm assuming he could have cracked the block or head if it overheated sufficiently.

Im also wondering if a disco 4.0 engine would work on this range rover?

Also, do you think it's worth it or should I pass? I can do the labor myself, I've done a head gasket on an 01 disco before.

Thoughts?

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Looks clean. If you dealt with a disco surprised to say you haven't heard of p38 woes. I think its one of the giant electrical nightmares. Like a Cadillac. If you could be positive everything else is right...seems like a huge gamble. I guess people said the same thing when I bought a land rover along with "what the hell is that?"

$1000 maybe???to 1400

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so I did as you said and I bought it. I paid 700 dollars for it.

So heres what I did, I took the heads off and noticed that the head gaskets are actually fine, but the head bolts were really loose. Im taking the heads to the machine shop tomorrow to have it machined and checked for warpage.

3 of the cylinders on the driver's side were flooded, there appeared to be no crack, but from the looks of it, the loose bolts were causing water to move freely out and into the cylinders, and from cylinder to cylinder (for 3 of the 4 driver side cylinders anyways).

Heres to hoping it works :D

Ill update again after I put everything back together, maybe in another week, hopefully this info may help some random googler in the future.

·
Land Rover Mechanic
15 Posts
Be sure to have the proper Interstate battery in there. Should help in prevention of a number of electrical issues.
Usually step one in our shop to even start diagnosing most flatbed rovers.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Yes, Interstate batteries are decent but not necessary, The mail guide for buying a battery for a Rover would be a minumin of 800 CCA and the longest Reserve time you can find.

·
Land Rover Mechanic
15 Posts
Mike is 100%, and I've ran them on different things here and Africa.
However, I can say Interstate, knowing it WILL work, WILL NOT cause problems, and with many, clear up issues or lead to proper diagnosis.
Its one of those pay to prevent over repairs down the line. These trucks will keep you on your feet enough. So don't just go to walmart.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
I got my battery from Walmart. Everstart is the brand. Its over 800 amps, has always worked flawlessly. It works so well because you can trade it out free of charge within three years. Every 2 3/4 years all my vehicles get brand new batteries f.o.c. They don't check them at all. Don't knock it till you try it. I bet even if they don't work you can get a refund. Its actually a pretty good brand battery. I would highly recommend it. I have heard they were made by die hard...but I just googled it and far as I can tell Johnson Controls makes Die Hard and these. Also on the list were exide and Delphi depending on region and date of manufacturer etc...

Just wanted to throw that in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.