Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just purchased my first Land Rover. Up until now I have been a die-hard International fan (of the engines and square body style mostly) and wish they still sold them today. I no longer have that feeling after buying a LR3. Amazing!

Anyway, I'm about to buy tires for my 2006 LR3 V8 SE. It currently has the following: KUMHO ROAD VENTURE APT Extra Load tires (255/60R18 112 V).

I only drive about maximum 15 miles a day on paved road, if even 10 but when I go to the mountains (Olympic Penninsula or Cascades area), I don't want to have to worry about a thing. I'm sure I'd be fine with the tires I've got since I have taken my Intl's on some old logging roads with crappy car tires without a problem, but you get the idea.

I would like to get rid of that square look (low profile) that you'd normally see on something like an Escalade.

I am torn between:

General Grabber AT2 255/60R18XL (anyone know if I can get bigger w/out doing any modifications?)

Hankook Dynapro Atm -size recommendations are welcomed!

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO Class E Load Rating (I wouldn't mind having to recalibrate the air suspension if it were as easy as having the same place who puts my tires on also do the calibration -- and if they don't, can I drive... uncalibrated(?) to a shop that will do it?) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ3R2wKf7UQ

If I went with the BF Goodrich, does anyone know about recalibrating air suspencion? Would I have to take it to the LR dealer or can this be done by any shop?

I don't mind the price, but my MAIN question in this post is whether I should buy a fifth tire for the spare. I ask, because I was told it isn't smart to keep the spare on for any longer than it needs to be, even IF it happens to be a full size spare because it's bad for the transfer case. If that's the case, could I rotate in the spare every time I do a balance or tire rotation (like a round-robin) to always keep the spare in somewhat of the same condition as the other four?

Even if I don't get a fifth tire, does this mean if I ever blow a tire and have to buy a new one or use the spare, I am doomed to something going bad?? Not that I do ANY sort of crazy off roading, but technically speaking, would I have to buy four new tires whenver one of them bites the dust or can the spare be balanced appropriately?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
It is always preferable to have evenly new / evenly worn tires on an all wheel drive vehicle so if cost is not a big factor I would advise 5 especially if you are planning on doing a size change.
Whatever you buy get 5 and rotate regularly using all 5!
I would stay away from the Hankook and would not even classify it the same as the grabber or the all terrain t/a
I have 16 inch b.f.g. All terrains on my 2000 d2 and don't really care for them. They are o.k but not great especially if you drive on snow and ice. I have recently swapped them out for Goodyear ultra grip directionals on 18 inch wheels and they work well but they are a winter compound and tread

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I put tires on my Disco I, I bought 5 and rotated them through. It worked well, and basically, you get 20% more tire life.

I will be looking at putting new tires on my LR3 in the next few months too.

I am really looking at the Grabber AT2's as well.

According to Johnson Rods, you can run a 255/60R18XL or a 265/60/R18 with out any other modifications.

LR3 Tire Size Chart

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@johnsoax, funny you should mention Johnson Rods. I just ordered a "filter kit" from Atlantic British. Paging through a magazine that was included in the shipping box, I came across "Performance Offroad Lift Kit" for $229. Then I thought of Johnson Rods and wanted to come back to this tire thread to ask -- Are Johnson Rods as easy to install as they say? If I get them, and get a 2.5" permanent(?) lift and then an alignment to adjust the wheel camber, does that mean my largest tire size increases? Should/could I have all this done at the same place I order the tires from? Do the Johnson Rods first and then go order tires? What if a Johnson Rod fails (sorry for swearing), will a tire start rubbing so crazy you think your life is in danger? Sorry everyone... If I should put this one in a new forum thread please let me know.

Thanks @hell pie for the info. Looking into them as well. Problem is, the more I look, the more I look. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
When we had our DII I installed the BFG A/T KO's on it after I installed a 2" lift. After the first winter I sold them and bought the General Grabber A/T 2's. They were a lot better in the snow and ice. I would recommend them over the BFG's anyway. As for our 07' LR3 I installed the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's and they are great!! I purchased a spare full sized wheel and kept one of the Michelin Synchrone tires to use as a full sized spare.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hankook Dynapro at rf 10 - 265/60/18

It is always preferable to have evenly new / evenly worn tires on an all wheel drive vehicle so if cost is not a big factor I would advise 5 especially if you are planning on doing a size change.
Whatever you buy get 5 and rotate regularly using all 5!
I would stay away from the Hankook and would not even classify it the same as the grabber or the all terrain t/a
I have 16 inch b.f.g. All terrains on my 2000 d2 and don't really care for them. They are o.k but not great especially if you drive on snow and ice. I have recently swapped them out for Goodyear ultra grip directionals on 18 inch wheels and they work well but they are a winter compound and tread
Check out this website on a review of the Hankooks,
BFGoodrich Hankook Dynapro Toyo Open Country Tires - 4-Wheel & Off-Road Magazine
I've had them on my LR3 for about 18000 miles and so far they have been great, in the snow, rocks, light mud, and on road. I'm very pleased with them. I used to run the nitto grapplers 285/60/18, I felt they were a little too big in the wheel well and not as good handling in the snow as the Hankooks. The Hankooks are slightly shorter/thinner and I can now fit snow chains on them if I need to. They are also rated at 114T not 109.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered 5 BF Goodrich T/A KO2 tires (275/65/18) but they couldn't put the fifth tire on my spare donut. Not sure why; donut too skinny? Does anyone know how to go about finding a donut that will fit my fifth tire? I would actually like to just buy another (fifth) real LR3 wheel just like the four I have on it, but can't seem to find anything online. Also, will the spare tire winch work with a "real" wheel, or do I need a donut wheel? Before/after pictures below.

THanks!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.