Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Steeler
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a coolant leak for over a year. I have 78,000 mi. on my Disco II 2002 and I bypassed the heater core during the summer to see if the leak would stop. It did not, and I still have coolant leaking slowly and the driver side floor mat is always damp underneath. The hoses have been checked 2 times, I checked the cap as well. I also had to replace engine and head gasket at 45,000 miles and wanted to see if anyone had anyother ideas of what I need to check.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Stacy

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
First off, anyone who ignores a coolant leak on a Rover for more than a year deserves to pay to have the engine replaced.

Secondly, I suspect that the leak is only present during elevated ambient temps when you're likely running the A/C. The water on the floor is most likely A/C condensate that has pooled in the heater box and overflowed onto the floor because the drain holes are occluded with crud, lint, dirt.

Crawl beneath the truck, on both sides of the transmission, there are small pipes that extend through the floor, pinch them and nasty water will likely come out. Once these "nipples" have been pinched and cleaned out, you won't have water on the floor until they become occluded again.

·
Steeler
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't run the A/C and the few times I did run it did not make a difference in how much it was leaking. I took the car to 3 places including a rover shop and everyone said the same thing. They could not locate the leak.

I decided to bypass the heater core on my own to try a process of elimination since I wasn't getting anywhere taking it to the garages. So, it wasn't that I was IGNORING the leak, I just wasn't getting anywhere dealing with the men at the 3 garages. The engine was replaced BEFORE the coolant leak. It wasn't because of the lack of my action.

I do not understand how the water on the floor from A/C condensation (which wasn't being run) would affect the coolant level dropping? The A/C drains were checked from the get-go. I didn't mention before since I did not see how this would affect the coolant disappearing issue.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Frustrating but sounds like it will take some hunting and probing. Personally, bypassing anything coolant related is gambling. Getting one of those dental type mirrors may help in spotting the problem or at least eliminate other areas. Yes, that's right, a dental mirror. I was surprised that the dentist I go to gave me one when I was talking about trying to see in a tight area and he suggested it. Doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have you replaced your radiator cap? I doubt the floor being wet inside the cabin has something to do with the coolant leak (Specially since you bypassed the heatercore entirely... unless there's another system running into the cabin for some reason).

My bmw had a coolant disappearing issue for 2 years, and I replaced the ENTIRE cooling system, and the last piece (and cheapest) the radiator cap, solved the problem... funny thing... the BMW cap looks IDENTICAL to the LR cap, but they have different pressure ratings. it's a cheap part to replace too so if it doesn't work, at least you have a new cap :)

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
If you have bypassed the heater core, there are no other direct routes for coolant to enter the cabin.

If you are still experiencing a loss of coolant, it's either leaking or being burned.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
First hook up your heater hoses, if you read about the coolant system in the Rave, you will see that the heater core is the primary scourse of cooling for the engine while at idle.
Are you sure the moisture on your carpet is coolant, is it sweet smelling and oily?
Before you over heat your engine and or trash your carpet, you need to deal with this once and for all.

·
Steeler
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I was told by 2 of the garages that my radiator cap was fine, but I think I will replace anyways (it is worth a try) and I will have the hoses reconnected. It is getting cold here in PA and it would be nice having heat again. I am going to a 4th place next week to have it pressure tested again. I love driving my Disco, but it is getting so frustrating with all of the issues.

Thank you gentlemen for all of your good advice, I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to try to help me!

I would not be surprised if there is another issue adding to the moisture on under the floor mat. It could be a coincidence that my coolant level drops with the moisture on the floor. I just started using the "colored" coolant to make it easier to see stains on my paper towels when I try to wipe it up, since all of the garages used clear. I've tried to smell it, but there was so much in the carpet before, it is hard for me to tell for sure.

I will see what the 4th place tells me. Thanks again! Wish I was married to a man who could do all this leg work for me. LOL. I can figure out how to create any dish or recipe but automobiles are not my thing!

Stacy

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Stop going from shop to shop and just get the coolant system pressure tested, unless you just want to draw this problem out a lot longer.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Where in PA are you?

There is a good shop near Elizabethtown, and another near Cleveland, depending upon which side of the state you're on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a coolant leak for over a year. I have 78,000 mi. on my Disco II 2002 and I bypassed the heater core during the summer to see if the leak would stop. It did not, and I still have coolant leaking slowly and the driver side floor mat is always damp underneath. The hoses have been checked 2 times, I checked the cap as well. I also had to replace engine and head gasket at 45,000 miles and wanted to see if anyone had anyother ideas of what I need to check.

Thanks

Stacy
Well

Thanks

Stacy
So I'm having this very exact same problem right now as we speak I bypassed the heater core because it was leaking in my passenger side. Now it's still leaking. I have a 2014 chevy camero. I have took it to several different places. Also it doesn't seem to be taking much antifreeze out the car. It overheated 1 time.

·
Premium Member
2001 & 2004 Discovery Series II SE7, with AND without SAI
469 Posts
Well

So I'm having this very exact same problem right now as we speak I bypassed the heater core because it was leaking in my passenger side. Now it's still leaking. I have a 2014 chevy camero. I have took it to several different places. Also it doesn't seem to be taking much antifreeze out the car. It overheated 1 time.
Did you perform a pressure test of the cooling system?

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts