Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Disco II Newb Rehabing a Mall Rover
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2000 DII is a California model, apparently. It is not in CA and will never be registered there again, so please bear that in mind when I ask this question. My right (passenger) side cat is clogged and that's created an exhaust leak. The shop that I took it too has generally treated me well in the past so I don't want to doubt what they say. However--comma--a dollar is a dollar.

For about the price I was quoted for just the right cat using a CA-spec replacement, I could get a 49-state legal Magnaflow Y-pipe (linked below) and get both cats done at the same time. The guy at the shop seems to think that putting a 49-state cat system into my CA-spec DII would result in the cats becoming clogged/damaged.

I've tried to research it and, honestly, I can't see where it would make any difference what cats I put in as long as I am not ever expecting to need to pass a CA inspection--which I'm not ever planning on doing. So, is there any collective wisdom on this?

Thanks!

Jegs: Magnaflow 93689 Magnaflow Direct-Fit Catalytic Converters - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Magnaflow's page on the part: http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalyti...rectfit01.asp?catalogid=35099&directfit=93689

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My 2000 DII is a California model, apparently. It is not in CA and will never be registered there again, so please bear that in mind when I ask this question. My right (passenger) side cat is clogged and that's created an exhaust leak. The shop that I took it too has generally treated me well in the past so I don't want to doubt what they say. However--comma--a dollar is a dollar.

For about the price I was quoted for just the right cat using a CA-spec replacement, I could get a 49-state legal Magnaflow Y-pipe (linked below) and get both cats done at the same time. The guy at the shop seems to think that putting a 49-state cat system into my CA-spec DII would result in the cats becoming clogged/damaged.

I've tried to research it and, honestly, I can't see where it would make any difference what cats I put in as long as I am not ever expecting to need to pass a CA inspection--which I'm not ever planning on doing. So, is there any collective wisdom on this?

Thanks!

Jegs: Magnaflow 93689 Magnaflow Direct-Fit Catalytic Converters - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Magnaflow's page on the part: MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters - 49-STATE & CANADA Catalytic Converters For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles
There's going to be a lot of IF's to this answer. As far as I can tell, the environmental Nazis in CA require any replacement cats to meet some increased emissions standard over the other 49 states. Big surprise. From a practical viewpoint, I think you could use the Jeg's y-pipe, no problem. If the shop you use won't install them because their not CA legal, you may have to go to another shop or install them yourself. Something I don't know is if the CA LR's have a different standard to pass emisssions. If you don't have to pass a sniff test where you live, you should be good-to-go. If you do, usually they put your VIN in the machine and it automatically set's itself to the appropriate testing levels. However, it's hard for me to believe that brand new "49" state cats could not pass the same standard as your stock 13 year old ones. Just as an example, I dropped a 1993, 302 H.O. V8 into a 1983 Volvo and put a single cat in line with a 3 in exhaust. Even with almost 3 times the displacement, it still beat the stock 1993 Volvo emissions standards. So I vote, "go for it".

·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as the 49-state cats wouldn't get damaged by the CA ECU, I'm totally comfortable with it.

The county I live in doesn't have inspections, so I am--thankfully--not concerned with having to pass anything there. The guy at the shop seemed to think that the non-CA cats would get damaged by a CA ECU. That just seems, I dunno, counter intuitive. As far as I can tell, yeah, CA just added more stuff to their expectations for what the car needs to pass. So increased cost there. Plus it's a smaller pool of parts and cars, so increased costs again.

·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a "DERP!" moment and realized that I should just call Magnaflow and see what they had to say on the matter. The tech said that on CA DIIs that I should use the "OEM spec" Y-pipe (linked below) and that it would perform adequately for the CA models. I asked and he said that eh "OEM spec" was basically a CA cat without the CARB testing and certification number attached.

So, that's good news for me! I can get both the left and right cats done for the price I was quoted for just the right cat at the shop. wOOt!

MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters - 49-STATE & CANADA Catalytic Converters For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Jegs says $600-and-some: http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/49720/10002/-1

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
First of all a cat be it bad failing or non-spec will not in any way effect the ECU.
Second, there are plenty of sites on line that sell Ca. spec cats.
Also you need to track down what killed this cat before installing a new one or it may be short lived, issues could be coolant ,engine oil, or gas that has leaked into the cat and caused it to melt down in the process of try to burn it off as it goes thru the cat.

·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is oil seepage around the gaskets but there's never been any burning smell or smoke that I've noticed.

My headgasket was leaky when I got the DII, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was it.

My only other guess/question would be whether or not the Secondary Air Injection could have anything to do with it. I've gotten a CEL for that recently. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
SAI has nothing to do with your cats problem.
Do you have any fault code numbers, if so what are they?

·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I took the truck to another shop--one I've worked with before and I felt they treated me fairly--and they found a crack in the right (passenger) side of the Y-pipe, between the cat and the manifold flange. The other shop didn't mention anything as obvious as a crack in the Y-pipe, which is more than mildly annoying.

So the 2nd shop cut out the cracked section and welded in a flex coupler, which seems to be working so far. It's too early to tell if this fix is good to go, but I suspect it'll work. And it was a lot cheaper than replacing all the other parts and the labor involved.

While I was there I also had them do the SAI (bad valve) and the rear driveline's rotoflex joint (retaining the serviceable original as a spare). Over time, when it's been in for something, I've been doing the proactive fixes/upgrades listed here: 1994-2004 Land Rover Discovery Upgrades - Four Wheeler Magazine

Hopefully I won't need any work done for a while and will actually get to enjoy driving the DII for a bit!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.