Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, so i took my 95 disco into the dealership to have them check out what happened to it. Apparently my rear passenger caliper blew out, causing it to leak like crazy. It scraped the rotor down pretty bad and the fluid soaked the brake pad. The dealership told me you want to buy them in pairs(left and right) so it won't be lopsided. He quoted me $1300 for it all. Is this something i could purchase and do myself or with the help of someone w/ some mechanical experience? Are there any other options? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

- AppStateDisco

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
One response....

You can get the parts from Atlantic British and others (like our sponsors on the top)for less. AB has the OEM caliper as well, since thay are an authorised LR parts vendor now.

If you just want the replacement stock parts and rotors, you can get them on eBay for cheap.

http://search.ebay.com/land-rover-discovery-rear-rotor-caliper_W0QQfromZR40QQsojsZ1

http://search.ebay.com/land-rover-discovery-rotors_W0QQfromZR40QQsojsZ1

Just remember that if you decided to put the new kind of rotors, use the slotted ones unless you are buying the expensive rotors. The drilled ones (the ones with the holes) are prone to crack between the holes unless it is the right kind of metal.

The job itself is very hard. Airtools and half-inch tools are needed here.

Unless you are mechanically inclined, it is a real witch to do unless you have the tools and the armstrong for it. I just did the rotors and the pads and I still have the clicking from the front because the shims are not readily available.

Huh.

The high difficulty factor is taking the rotors off. The Land Rover is a truck down there and you know about the rust factor. Each rotor is half-hour , twenty minutes each if you are pro and all the tools. It is hot and hard work.

· Registered
590 Posts
Im my experience, the dealership charges double the price of what a independent Land Rover shop would cost.

So I would call around.
Do you have a local Land Rover shop you usually use dude?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.