Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has taken to horseriding in a big way and I now need to tow a horse box.

Someone I know is selling a 1981 Austin Land Rover S3 SWB. It seems like a fun car to have and it should do the job. However, I don't know much about Land Rovers - I have bought many old cars and so know some of the pitfalls.

Can anyone let me know what I should look out for. Also, what is it like to find parts and get serviced - any recommendations?

Many thanks,

Karl

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't know a huge amount myself, but:
Petrol have poor fuel economy
Diesels are very slow
The chassis and bulkhead will go rusty.
Parts are very readily availble though,
and they seem to keep their value well, so you can always resell.

If your not used to them, then they are very basic, and steering is Heavy.

Longer wheelbase models are better for towing-more stable.

Turning circle is like a barge.

If you can afford to run a horse, then you might as well shell out for an old range rover or disco? or a horse lorry/box?

·
Registered
146 Posts
You would be better off buying a LWB model as they are fitted with better brake system or go for a early defender or 110.

I would go for a diesel or a petrol if your going to tow the trailer alot as you get more low down torque

Adam :beer:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Lawnmower said:
Don't know a huge amount myself, but:
Petrol have poor fuel economy
Diesels are very slow
The chassis and bulkhead will go rusty.
Parts are very readily availble though,
and they seem to keep their value well, so you can always resell.

If your not used to them, then they are very basic, and steering is Heavy.

Longer wheelbase models are better for towing-more stable.

Turning circle is like a barge.

If you can afford to run a horse, then you might as well shell out for an old range rover or disco? or a horse lorry/box?
I would agree with all that, particularly the last senstence, as it will cure all the previous issues. An LPG converted V8 or an early Tdi RR Classic should only set you back between £2000 and £3000, if you're not too fussy about cosmetic issues. The chassis rust less (do check it still, and closesly look at the sills and lower door pillars).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated.

Btw, wrt affording a horse - such is the joy of having a teenage daughter, scrape together is closer to reality :dunno:

I will have a look around at the other options suggested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts