Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Disco Chai
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When trying to connect new battery(12.6/12.8reading)i connect positive first then once iTouch negative wire to Neg battery terminal it will sparked and try to weld to battery terminal not only that she will try to start even with NO key in! If key is in and turned she will start right up however it sounds like the starter keeps running. I'm no mechanic at all I've never even use a multi-meter before a week ago but I've been studying! I tried a amp drop test but as soon as I touched leads to negative terminal it started sparking so I stopped scared it may ruin my $10 multimeter. Moreover I disconnected starter wire from starter solenoid then touched negative battery wire to Neg terminal and She still tryed to start( no key in ignition and no starter wire attached to solenoid)?
I just purchased vehicle a months ago,ignition key is kind of loose and negative battery wire was corroded and loose while I was driving it for a few weeks before this happened(it's clean now). Horn sporadically started going off during Hurricane Matthew but I would just tapped horn and it would stop few days ago to check fuses in the horn fuse was blown not sure if this helps I'm just sharing any information I can think of. However if they lose or touching wires could cause such an issue like this you would think you would see it on battery installation 101 videos but nope! Thanks to Any & Everyone for your Time and Compassion ?! 1?
SE Georgia USA (2000 Land Rover Discovery 2)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
What was the reason for the battery change?

First off, pull the small wire off of the solenoid, leaving the battery connected. If it still wants to crank, you have a stuck solenoid. If it doesn't you probably have an ignition switch issue.

The horn buttons are known to have problems. if the little tabs broke off, someone may have stuck the button back in without a spring. I've seen it.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Reactions: DiscoveryChai

·
Disco Chai
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CT090 my Battery drained some while sitting(didn't want to unhook battery intill I researched everything because I am NO machanic) and it's under warranty so why not.
I did unhook starter solenoid (small wire) wire(starter switch wire I think it's called). It just unclip's real simple. Then with the positive battery cable connected to new battery I then touched negative battery cable to negative terminal (as if I was installing a battery) and again it Sparks, tries to start (No key in ignition or starter switch wire connected to selonod) and cable & terminal would melt/weld together if I held it there(this is what I don't like). I would just replace a selonod but if I can't connect battery because I sure don't want to ruin this new battery by melting terminal. Like I had to yank it off terminal. I'm just scared I'll blow up battery or truck! Could just be fear of unknown or could be smart(better safe than sorry).

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The solenoid is bad. Not the easiest starter to replace. But not terrible. You have to go in behind it with a long extension and remove the bolts- they're socket head capscrews. Be very cautious that your tool is fully engaged- how they're positioned allows grime to collect inside the bolt sockets. If you only get halfway in and round out the hole, you have big problems. Also keep in mind that it's easy to **** that long extension you'll need and cause the same problem.

That's not the easiest starter to work on. It's a gear reduction unit. It has alot of parts. It's senseless to have it off and not open it up and see what's up inside. If you're not mechanically inclined, you can get a complete remy reman on RockAuto for $65. The solenoid will probably cost you $40

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Just so you know - "...**** that long extension..." That means that you do not have the extension in perfectly straight, ie it is somewhat slanted and is not fully engaged in the bolt head. If it is not fully fitted it will strip the head on the bolt.

I work at Habitat for Humanity on weekends and we use screws with a square hole in the head; if the volunteers do not get the drill bit straight in the screw head, it rounds out the head and it is really hard to remove and replace the screw.

·
Disco Chai
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
long story short I just disconnected wires from solenoid make sure they weren't touching when I reconnected them and I was able to connect my battery without sparking she started right up I drove about a mile down the street got up an open the hood and looks like smoke coming from oxygen sensor & engine area above this is really hot as well only had truck on for about 5 to 8 minutes(remember I don't know what I'm doing so it might not have been coming from the oxygen sensor but that sure what it looked like to me)?
Any ideas? Could a bad oxygen sensor cause such issues?

·
Disco Chai
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I reconnected everything to starter solenoid making sure wires aren't touching(things were to close befor). And Yes finally able to reconnect battery without sparking/welding! She started right up drove across street maybe 5/8min and looked under the hood and I saw what looks to me like smoke coming from oxygen sensor (same area)! Engine area above is real hot aswell.. ANY suggestions /ideas/, ect.. Thanks again to everyone!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The oxygen sensor measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gasses and sends that data to the engine's ECM. No connection whatsoever.

Solenoids stick. They can also unstick. It's not fixed. It will happen again. It's your choice if you want to fix it in your driveway now or deal with being broken down later.

A stuck solenoid can be more than an inconvenience. If you find yourself in a situation where you don't have a tool to disconnect, and provided your battery has a good charge, continuous cranking can create a great deal of heat in the starter and the cable. Enough to cause an electrical fire underhood.

If you were under there messing with things, you may have gotten some grease/goop on the exhaust inadvertently, causing your smoke.

Replace your solenoid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.