Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Disco II - My check engine light was flashing and I stopped and next day it cranks but won't start. I have an new Innova 3130C reader and it seems to be hooked up right - it sees the car and model etc. but says there are no codes to be read. I called Innova and the tech said it has to be in running condition to get the codes? That seems odd to me but OK. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
I'm sure lots of people will agree a crank sensor is very likely for the no start, as for no codes? I would expect codes would be available at key on in running position with any scan tool. Any time you have no communication issues I would advise checking fuses (all) check other related threads for which fuse powers the o.b.d. Connector.
Sorry no definitive answers but if you can get live data you should be able to see a engine speed / r.p.m. Reading and know if the crank sensor is picking up engine revolution

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
It doesn't have to be in running condition to have the codes, but it does have to run with the problem long enough to have the codes stored in the ECU.

Was the check engine light on before it started flashing or did it start flashing out of the blue? What was the car running like before you shut her down?

Flashing CELs are an indication of a "cylinder damaging misfire" which could be attributed to plugs, wires, fuel or even a crank sensor. My money is on the crank sensor.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So, was the service engine light flashing when you tried to read them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was on a 6 hour drive yesterday. At about the 4 hour mark the service engine soon light came on. It stayed on steady and then flashed every 15 minutes or so for about 4 minutes. At the end of the drive it was flashing more often, and seemed a little low on power.
When I connected the reader, it read linked to ISO 9141. The CAT, EVA. O2S, and HTR were flashing, and the MIS, FUE, and CCM were steady lit.
It then read "NO power train DTC's or freeze frame data is presently stored in the vehicles computer" The service engine soon light was lit steady while I was trying to read the codes. There is a yellow lamp on the face of the tool that was lit solid.

I disconnected the battery for about 2 hours today and just went out and it started right up?? Service engine soon is off and there are still no codes to be found.
I think I have a ghost.
I'm going for a drive tomorrow and I'll post up what happens. If any ideas I would appreciate them.
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Quit disconnecting your battery, doesn't do any thing other then cause your computers to loose some of their memories.
We need actually fault code numbers to be able to help you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quit disconnecting your battery, doesn't do any thing other then cause your computers to loose some of their memories.
We need actually fault code numbers to be able to help you.
OK will do.
I hope it comes back tomorrow and I'll try and get the codes again.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
My bet is placed
It will be fine until warmed up. Then will either quit or not restart after a short shut down and restart while still warm/ hot
Check availability locally of a good quality crank sensor!
Mine did the same. Started out as once every few weeks, progressed into every few days and ended up dam near every time I drove it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK
It cranks and will not start. The "Service Engine Soon" light is on steady. I connected the tool and it reads: "NO power train DTC's or freeze frame data is presently stored in the vehicles computer"
I still can't get any codes.
Am I using the tester right?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Mike, send me your number and I'll call you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK I ordered a crank position sensor. Should be here Wed.
I'll install it and post the results.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK the new Crank Position Sensor is in and so far so good.
Starts right up.
The only regret is that I tried to drop the exhaust to get in there easier.
Bad idea for me. Stripped nuts and broken studs later........
But the good news is I did a small mod that makes it 100 times easier.
I took my die grinder and cut out a small portion of the wheel well on the drivers side, big enough to get my fist through.
Man does that make this job easy!
A bit Hack I guess, but it works GREAT!
Now I can reach the block drain plug thru that hole which was always a pain in the butt.

Thanks again to all for your help guys!

Mike A

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts