Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have a 2002 Disco 2. I am having issues starting my car. It started out by having to turn the key over at least 3 times to get it to crank. I went to the grocery store one day and it cut off on me and made a loud sound from the trunk. I was able to crank it and drive it home (less than a mile). It has not been used since then. I have recently replaced my fuel pump but my car still will not crank. I tested the fuses and they all have voltage. I was not sure how to test a relay so i bought a new one (big yellow square) and replaced the one that i believed to be for the fuel pump(last big yellow relay on the right under the fuse panel under the hood). I have also hard wired the fuel pump to the battery and it comes on but does not start the car. I'm all out of options here. Any ideas what may be my problem?

· Premium Member
102 Posts
Any codes? There are a lot of these types of no-start complaints on the forum, a lot of times it ends up being the crank position sensor.

· Premium Member
102 Posts
If the light's not on, you aren't going to get any codes. It may show you a pending code, but it's unlikely. The CKPS is an $80 part, and while a bit of a booger to put in, might solve your problem.

· '03 Disco SE
573 Posts
It definitely sounds like a CKP issue. The sound you heard from the truck is likely unrelated.

When you say the engine "will not crank", do you mean that the engine won't start or that it literally won't turn over (starter is doing nothing)? The phrases mean different things and could lead to different solutions

If it "cranks", meaning you can hear the starter turning the motor but it refuses to "start", pay attention to the speed of the cranking. If it sounds like it's cranking very quickly but the RPM on the tach is not registering, then it's likely a failed CKP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.