Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I installed new shocks and springs for a 2" lift. Now, every time I go through my regular car wash the truck starts stumbling and misfiring on several cylinders as I'm going through the blow dryer and throws a 44 code. After keeping the revs up for 30 seconds it smooths out and runs fine until the next car wash.

After this happens I don't see any water anywhere under the bonnet or near the intake. Everything seems dry. Since the truck is lifted higher now I'm thinking water is getting in somewhere it wasn't before.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?:dunno:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I get the same exact problem on my 95LWB, at the car wash especially when they spray up her front!

this has been hashed over before as some other 95 owners get it too! so a search might bring up some stuff I'll forget. My ignition amplifier has been relocated forwarded, as many have, and it gets plenty wet. Clean it up, tighten the connections (especially the ground) and put some dielectric grease around and in them.

of course you might be getting some water up your dizzy; but like the Geico commercial "everybody knows that"

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
You don't need to get ign components soaking wet in order to have moisture problems.

Most car wash environments are very, very humid. The dizzy on a RRC is not sealed and your engine will be hot. Perfect conditions for trouble.

Check the entire ign system out and try a little WD-40 under the cap and dielectric grease on the wires.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I'll run it through tomorrow and report back.
Just park it in a dark space (like a garage) at night. Give it 5 minutes for your eyes to adjust to the dark.Make sure you leave somewhere for the exhaust gases to escape so that you do not poison yourself. Get a spray bottle with some water in it and start the car. Spray the water over various components of your ignition leads, distributor, coil, etc. You will see the leads arcing If there is a short being caused from water.

You will know that your eyes are adjusted correctly when you can see each spark plug light up every time it fires.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried the spray bottle in the dark but couldn't locate any arcing.

Last night I went through the car wash again and it didn't happen. I'm hoping the wd-40 and dielectric grease did the trick.

Has anyone attempted to seal the distributor cap and/or provide some water protection for the ignition amp? Mine is relocated and I noticed some dirty water spots on it from running through some dirt roads a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If you google there is info on waterproofing the dizzy but unless you want to go in deep water all the time WD-40, dielectric grease and a shield to protect it from spray is better as other issues can arise from sealing the dizzy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.