Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now i am running a solex, that has been "rebuilt" with a gasket kit. We are thinking of changing our carb, since we have had some odd issues with it. what is the best choice of carb for a 2.25L petrol that gets a mixture of highway, city, and the every once in a while off road adventure. This will be driven all year round, and we want something that can get better gas mileage than now. Recently, i have been getting 10-11 MPG on 87-89 octane.

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok...so that doesnt really tell me much about which weber is the best one for this application, but in a group opinion which is the best weber carb? Also, my dad had talked to British Pacific, and they sugguested getting the rochester carb...what is the story on those? Overall, we need more information on the different types of carbs before we buy, and we need to find the best deal, so parts houses where these are available would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Clay

as stated earyer, I run a Webber 36dcd on a standerd 2.25. Iv got nothing but praise for this carb and will not change it. Ill also tell anybody thats willing to listen to fit one.

But I think it all boils down to what is available and howmuch you can spend.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so, the 36 dcd is the best option of all the ones that are available? Also, are there any "secret" places to get these carbs, other than the major U.S. Houses?

·
Registered
8 Posts
carb

My '62 truck has a Rochester BV on it and I am told the Rochester is common to many rovers in the USA and Canada. This carb was used on mid 1950's Chev. six cyl.
The re-build kit cost me $10 and was in stock at a local auto parts store. I'm also told it works well but may need a smaller jet. I am rebuilding mine as we speak. I'm just completing a head replacement which has gone very well considering my technical ability. Sure do like my land rover.

Jack

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
As Moeras says, a Weber 36 DCD is a 36 DCD. That's the model. The problem I have encountered, and as other's, including George Laird, who ought to know, is that they are often sold improperly jetted for the 2 1.4 liter engine. It's an expensive conversion if you don't already have the Pierce manifold. Additionally, you will either have to fit a blanking plate to the Land Rover exhaust manifold, or replace it entirely with an aftermarket extractor system. I do know that properly jetted, and with the float properly set, there is a big performance increase. I had that carb, with the Pierce intake manifold and extractor exhaust manifold, but opted to sell it, and go back to the standard LR intake/exhaust manifold. I used a Carter YB carb, originally intended for the Willys M38 Jeep. It bolted on directly, and the linkage hooked right up and the engine idles perfectly and revs responsively.
The Solex is expensive, and is often replaced with a Zenith, which also isn't cheap. Both of these carbs are now made in India, or some such place and aren't what they used to be. The Rochester is commonly available, cheap and easily rebuilt. I put one on a 2A I had some 30 years ago, and it worked fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.