Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Well, I finally got to do some wheeling in my '63 rover. I took it out about 3 weeks ago down near Humphrey Hill just south of Ellicottville and had a little issue with it getting airlocked on inclines. I believe the old Solex will need a rebuild anyways since upon starting the rover up following the ever-so-fun "de-airlocking" proceedure, it seemed to spew gas out of the gaskets. Of course, it does'nt normally do that, but to get it going again after letting the air purge out down at the fuel filter cup, I had to dump some fuel down the carb. (which is when I noticed how leaky the old Solex is). Before I go through the pains and $$ of doing a rebuild kit (which I suspect may be the problem), I wanted to get some feedback as to whether or not anyone else has had trouble with airlocking (with a solex carb of course) and if I might be better off installing a different carb? I was talking to a friend that mentioned something about the design of the float inside the carb being the culprit which is probably being flipped upwards by gravity (on inclines) instead of by the gas floating it up. Does anyone follow what I'm saying? Sorry... I'm not doing so well at describing this in written form. Anyways.. if anyone has some input on this, I'd really appreciate it!!

Drew

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Replace the Solex with a Webber 36 DC.
You only need to replace the plate on the inlet manifold. The air cleaner pipe fit the top of the Webber 100%.

Had more or less the same problems, espesially on very hot days. I did this replacement on my '74 SIII 88". Better fuel consumption and much better reliability. Power also up by a small margin.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Solex on my S1 2.25, and although I have never done really serious off-roading, have never had a problem with the float.
If the float is being 'flipped upwards' it would stop fuel coming into the carb, but I fail to see how air would then be down at the filter/sediment bowl.

What I have previously had problems with, is muck bypassing the sediment bowl and blocking the float valve. When off-roading, or after a long time off the road it is likely that muck has been shaken/stirred in the tank. Fit a cheap plastic fuel filter somewhere near the tank to make sure this isn't the problem.

Also, if there is petrol leaking out of the gaskets then that may well be the biggest problem. I find that the Solex is much more responsive than Dad's 2A with Weber, but any good carb will be better than a worn one!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise! I'll see how much a Weber is and probably make a decision from there. As far as the issue of dirt in the gas tank... I'm sure that's a valid point. Although, I never noticed any sediment collecting in the bowl so I'm sort of leaning away from that as being the culprit. In the type of off-roading I've been doing, the inclines can get fairly steep and the trails are full of rocks and fallen trees making it a bumpy ride. That being the case, I'm pretty sure that the airlocking (in the engine) might be my problem. Hmmm... guess I need to start shopping around for a good deal on a Weber! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
You could always look at fitting an EFI system. I have seen the same problems when climbing some steep sand dunes in Oz. The V8 110 could not get up as the power kept dropping off. My EFI DIscovery went up so fast I had to hit the brakes at the top :)

Ivan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.