Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
MG
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's done, great soundproofing, impermeable, tough, and I have to admit that it looks good, too!

I'm thinking of doing the forward half, once I put a little wear on this stage...

Once I get the paneling and seats back in, I'll take some more pix.

Check it out:

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
That is great..I am thinking of doing the same to my RRC,just do the rear and keep the rest with carpet......Your post may be the decideing factor!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Looks great!!!

I did mine in white (the whole floor) since my Disco is white.

BTW, no news on the bracket yet. I'll keep you posted.

·
MG
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funrover said:
That is great..I am thinking of doing the same to my RRC,just do the rear and keep the rest with carpet......Your post may be the decideing factor!
Do the whole interior! After I took a look at it, I wished I had gone the whole 9 yds. Especially given the frequency and easy of water ingress (even when you've never been wading: sun roofs, alpine windows, a/c drains, etc.), I look forward to never again worrying about rust from the inside...

Now, when I spill my beer on the inside, I can just lick it up...
:beer:

LRDisco94: I had it done professionally.

Cheers,

·
MG
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John C said:
BTW, no news on the bracket yet. I'll keep you posted.
Cool - I've got a temporary steel spacer in there...

(We're talking about the Mean Green alternator that arrived without one of the mounting brackets: John has been kind enough to provide logistics support for me, given some of the structural challenges I face in Bolivia)

Thanks again John!

·
Registered
490 Posts
LOOKS AWESOME!!!

How is the smell? I really want to simplify my Rovere to be child proof. Okay, maybe self-proof to be completely honest. I was a little apprehensive because of concerns about the possibility of smell. Damn sure dont need by better half complaining of the smell and getting headaches... at least more headaches than she already claims to get. LOL

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
In my case there is no smell. The first week or so you could smell the paint but it'll go away.

BTW, they quoted my $850 to do it here in NY and that's after I removed the whole interior (except drivers seat) and prepped the whole area. I did it myself for $100 and a whole gallon of herculiner.

I also painted my headliner but that's another story.

·
MG
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The coating was applied yesterday, late morning. I picked the Beast up in mid afternoon and drove it home, windows closed, a/c blasting (it's uncomfortably hot here this time of year). That was a 20 min drive.

Sure there's a smell (it's reminiscent of the "new car" smell, though not quite), but it didn't make my eyes water or give me a headache, and certainly didn't really affect me. Today it's a bit less. From what the dealer tells me, the smell should totally dissappear in two weeks.

SWIMBO took a whiff and didn't seem to mind, and she's TOTALLY sensitive to issues with our kids' health.

I paid US$222 - once the dealer figured out that it was an inside job (they have to prep it more than say a pickup bed), he tried boosting the quote to $300, but "a quote is a quote!" I argued that I had removed all the paneling and ground out the surface rust, saving him the trouble (I doubt they would have been as thorough as I was, after all, the surface is totally covered by polyurethane, no way to verify)

The difference is probably labor costs - minimum wage here is ~US$55 / month...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Good question... it does help a bit. I always remove the carpet and foam from any LR I've purchased because it acts like a sponge and eventually the floorboards will rust.

The area behind the cubby box gets very warm 'cause of the muffler underneath, so warm that my kids sneakers started to melt one day.... now that I have the herculiner it's not as bad. It's still warm but not warm enough to melt your sneakers.

Next spring I'm going to add one more coat and see what happens.

·
Getting the mud off.....
961 Posts
That's looks awesome !!! Hmmmmm.......what am I doing this weekend? I saw the first couple of pics before scrolling and was wonder why it looked like nothing was on there......doh!

The stuff holds up really well........I've had it on the lower 1/4 of my '96 Disco for the last several years and it still looks like new!

-B

·
MG
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LRDisco94 said:
Question about the Rhino liner.....does it still keep the heat out? ....i was thinkin without the insulation between the carpet and floor...is the heat from the road/engine gonna make the floor hott? or am i thinking to much about it ?
From the corporate website: the product resists temperatures ranging from -40 F to 175 F.

I can't tell you for a fact how well it insulates from temperature, but polyurethane isn't a very good conductor of anything (electricity, sound, heat), and at 1/4" think, I can't imagine much heat making it through.

My plan is to see how it works out with the foam and/or carpet back in (I'll share pictures once I get the paneling ans seats back in). There's a lot of dirt / cobblestone here and sound deadeneng properties are highly desireable (the quieter the better). I'll keep you guys posted...

Cheers,

·
MG
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
roverX said:
Awesome Gue! Hey, did you ever figure out how to get your truck into the States?
Not yet - that's a back burner project still. I have to get the Beast in tip top shape first, then beat it on the road in South America, then get a job in the US before I can seriously consider taking it North. At least an 18-month project...

·
MG
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pinba1173 said:
That looks great! What is the grit level? I had the top of my disco done and they asked me if I wanted it to be smoother than normal. Would you recomend smooth vs rough for the interior?
Thanks.

It's the standard grit, the one you get when you don't ask for anything special.

For the outside of the vehicle, smooth would seem better for aerodynamic purposes. On the inside, I don't know what to say because I don't have anything to compare it against. Maybe when I get the front part done I'll ask for a smooth finish...

LRDisco94 said:
pictures look good...i think im gonna throw some herculiner on mine
John C posted a few pix of his white herculiner interior (even the headliner went that way!) a few months ago, you should check them out.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.