Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update on CarPC Install in 1996 Discovery

Hello all from Adam in NYC USA.

Just thought I would give a update regarding my CarPC project for my 1996 Land Rover Discovery. First off, I had originally had it planned for a rollout of September 2005. Well what the heck happened, it is almost the middle of November. Stuff happens. For prior posts, take a look below:

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3037&highlight=Adam

My father had two strokes back to back in a two week period. His first stroke happened awhile visiting a friend who lived two hours away from New York. I had to play daily transportor back and forth for about one week until they released him. A few days later, he had another at home. At least he was at home.

He is better now. Double vision and a deficit that requires him to walk with a cane , but it could have been a lot worse.

But that pretty much put the project back on the backburner.

Now I have had a week vacation coming to me and boy am I playing catchup.

First of all, got a good deal on eBay for a in-dash 7" touchscreen that does TV (naughty naughty but I won't tell) and has VGA and two video inputs with a remote control. Hmmm. I could stop right there.

I saw a Taiwanese outfit selling tiny cameras that run on 12v. Always wanted some nightvision capability and an extra eye for backing up (and going forward and then backing up again (so sorry, have some more, dummy). Could also use it when someone sets off the alarm. Have it record the video. Hmm.

The CarPC will also dup as a jukebox controller for my iPod and possible GPS system. I have some street maps USA and some Topo USA that would be cool with a GPS receiver. That is, if I use XP or Windows 2000. I could also use Linux, but then to make all that software work.(Later, mad scientist, Later).

I was thinking of a DVD-ROM but I am also thinking WiFI capability. Here in NYC, you have a equal chance of walking into a fresh cake of dogpoop as well as hitting a WiFI access point. I can always rip something new to watch and then download it into the CarPC.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a VoomPC kit (www.mini-box.com). I had a decent mini-ITX board with all the good stuff, except the dummies that run the company don't answer email nor help you get needed accessories. I wanted to use the on-board soundcard but the dummies used a special connector instead of 3.5" stereo jacks. Duh.

I want my stereo. How will you get reception. Later my friends. There is a method to my madness.

How am I gluing all these stuff together? I am thinking of using the boxes under the front seats and then seeing how it looks.

Now, just waiting for all the junk (huh, I mean stuff) to arrive and then glue it all together.

Now , you might wonder, WHY WHY WHY do you want to do this? I am a ham radio operator and second I love gadgets (bad Adam BAD BAD). It also gives me an opportunity to make a nice mark on my interior.

I wonder if I can do an old-fashioned green military clock with a boring FM tuner look on that display ? Of course, I gotta have my LRO logo when it boots up.

Adam in NYC

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
I cant figure out for the life of me how The united states wont allow a manufacturer to install a TV up front but an aftermarket installer can.

every RR and LR3 with a navigation system has the capacity to get satelite TV in.

You cant even get Satelite TV in the rear TV monitors. YOu can only play DVDS and CDs.

but its allowed in Europe for some strange reason.

And yes I know cause it causes a distraction to the driver.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
beezel said:
I cant figure out for the life of me how The united states wont allow a manufacturer to install a TV up front but an aftermarket installer can.

every RR and LR3 with a navigation system has the capacity to get satelite TV in.

You cant even get Satelite TV in the rear TV monitors. YOu can only play DVDS and CDs.

but its allowed in Europe for some strange reason.

And yes I know cause it causes a distraction to the driver.
I try not to figure out lawmakers. There is a old set of proverbs relavent here:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

And then a friend added to it:

My wise friend Angus said:
> The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Possibly, but it is lit with the Streetlamps of Wilful Ignorance
[tm].
Adam in NYC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.