Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did, on my way back to my dorm from Michigan to Lima, OH. It was just his evening actually (1/29/06) about 6:30 or 7:00 on I-75 south, the wind was terrible. I had never experienced so much turbulence on the ground? Literally my RRC was weaving all over the road and sometimes i had to pull over on the side of the freeway and wait for a clear moment. According to the Weather Band on my CB radio (and the RRC's stock radio with WB option) the winds were about 30-40 mph with gusts to about 45-50 mph. The worst thing was, I was driving into the wind. One time a gust hit me from the west of me and forced me off the road, and I was lucky enough to just cruise through a ditch and back onto the freeway. :eek: Another scary moment. I'm here now and doin' fine, knowing that my Rover is like a huge sail on wheels, on the other hand can take a ditch at about 75 mph!:D

Has anyone ever have an experience like mine, or did I top everyones?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I HATE WIND!!! Back in December I was heading to a wedding in Wyoming.... Well lets set the scene....80 MPH wind and snowing...... During my 5 hour(normally 3 at that point) drive I saw 4 flipped semi's, a flipped fan..a car in the median all smashed and faceing the wrong way...The an abulance and tow truck lost control and slid and did a 180 in front of me on the way to an accident..I got to see a pick up hauling a snowmobile trails go off the road and barely miss an overpass barrier.....Did I mention there was about 90 miles or so of ICE COVERED road..... I have never been so scared...I topped out at 45 MPH........What scared me is that there were still people doing 75.... Haveing no sway bars was fun too.....but being used to that may have helped me.....Wyoming is no fun in the winter when trying to get somewhere!!!!

Glad to hear you are safe man!!! I know how it goes!!

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I just took a peek under the Rover just a minute ago and to my surprise, I was dragging a branch, i think I picked up goin' through that ditch.

And yeah, fighting the wheel for about 2 and a half hours, does make me tired. I did get a work out though! LOL

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funrover said:
I HATE WIND!!! Back in December I was heading to a wedding in Wyoming.... Well lets set the scene....80 MPH wind and snowing...... During my 5 hour(normally 3 at that point) drive I saw 4 flipped semi's, a flipped fan..a car in the median all smashed and faceing the wrong way...The an abulance and tow truck lost control and slid and did a 180 in front of me on the way to an accident..I got to see a pick up hauling a snowmobile trails go off the road and barely miss an overpass barrier.....Did I mention there was about 90 miles or so of ICE COVERED road..... I have never been so scared...I topped out at 45 MPH........What scared me is that there were still people doing 75.... Haveing no sway bars was fun too.....but being used to that may have helped me.....Wyoming is no fun in the winter when trying to get somewhere!!!!
NO KIDDIN':eek: . It can get bad out there. i have relatives in Boulder, CO and we visited them 2-3 winters ago, can't remember, and the wind out there is horrendous!:eek:

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
RageRover said:
NO KIDDIN':eek: . It can get bad out there. i have relatives in Boulder, CO and we visited them 2-3 winters ago, can't remember, and the wind out there is horrendous!:eek:

Colorado is calm compared to WY!!!!

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i haven't seen the worst of it then, huh? I probably don't wanna either.

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This all reminds me; i gotta call the dad and tell him not to get too crazy out on the roads. He's in Cleveland right now.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
RageRover said:
So i haven't seen the worst of it then, huh? I probably don't wanna either.

My girlfriend has a lot of family there...It's great in the summer...but winter is evil!!

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Re: Catching the wind the wrong way........

Ouch ouch ouch.

Although we did not have extreme wind here in the NorthEast, we had our batch of wicked solid fog banks and torrential rain. Nothing makes me more nervous on the road than the other people on the road not slowing down and literally plowing thru a solid fogbank at 70 mph.

Hello. Sometimes there be solid objects in there, like deer (duh) or someone stuck in the road.

I also just love those knuckleheads that go down an acceleration ramp and then park in the merge , waiting to be hit from behind.

Anyhoo, I just finished about a month ago putting on a forward stone guard and the now-discontinued plastic wing for cleaning the rain off the rear window.

SInce I put on the stone guard, the rain does not fly off the hood of the Discovery and the wind pattern is different coming around and over the hood. I also religiously use Rain-X (r) on the front and rear windshield and when you shut down the wipers, you can really see that repellent doing its work.

As for that rear wing, you see something interesting now. It is scooping the air and pushing it into that vacuum formed by the Disco cutting into the air.

A lot of people driving behind me don't want to be behind me now. Any rain fog or snow gets jammed in there now. And now I can see it too. It is scary seeing loose snow take off there. It is a total white-out back there.

Well , dont tailgate anyway.

Adam in NYC

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I'd rather drive in the wind than that fog...That stuff scares me!!

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rmuller said:
winds + bridges + tall rover == not fun.
That sums it up basically.

I don't mind the fog, as long as I'm going at a slow speed. Although I do have the thought in the back of my mind saying, "what if some dumbass doesn't have the sense to slow down in the fog I'm in, and rams me from behind?" :mad: That's what scares me sometimes and at the same time angers me. I hate when people don't know how to control their vehicle.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Oh poo!
Gusts to 60mph??? Give me a break. That's like nearly every day here at least once a month.
We had a day about 2 weeks ago when the wind didn't go below 30mph ALL DAY LONG. Gust were to 62mph that day I think. It blew over the basketball goal so I know it was at least 60mph.
Last year we had a particularly bad day with straight line winds above 40mph and gusts to 90. Florida reported a hurricane that week with winds to 90 and everyone was cryin' about it. Pffft, big babies.

OOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain, where the waving wheat can sure smell sweet when the wind comes right behind the rain.

Sadly we haven't had but 1/2 inch of rain since October. Kinda ruins the song.

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LMAO...That's funny. I'm not used to those heavy winds like what you got in OK. Bet you seen a lot of Twisters though huh?

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
I've lived here since 1971 when we came back from Guam. I lived through 5 Typhoons (hurricanes) while I was there. That I know about.

I have only seen one live tornado. 1974. I have seen the results many times. The May 3rd 1999 tornado that you see so much about the one that gave the world it's highest recorded wind speed, passed about 4 miles from my mom. She said the plates were rattling in the cupboard.

I have wanted to chase one but that takes some learning that I haven't yet had the time for.

Just as I finished posting that, the next day we had 25mph straight with gusts to 43mph the very next day, all day.

·
The Winnipeg Thrashers...
835 Posts
We don't get a lot of high winds here in Ga. But back in January I was in Kansas and on the last day of my visit, there were steady winds of around 40 mph. Holy shee-ite! The locals I was with laughed at me.

If the Rover was out there I would have seriously considered tying it down.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Capt. Ron said:
We don't get a lot of high winds here in Ga. But back in January I was in Kansas and on the last day of my visit, there were steady winds of around 40 mph. Holy shee-ite! The locals I was with laughed at me.

If the Rover was out there I would have seriously considered tying it down.

LOL..nice...I see from 60 - 80 mph a few times a year here..it's fun no doubt!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.