Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Just a few observations on a recent purchase.

Bought a 1996 4.0 on EBay (Dont buy a car unless you can kick the tires.)

Drove it back from Dallas to Colorado, on the way things started to go wrong, engine misfire, fuel gauge suddenly taking a dip to zero when it got to about half full.

Got home OK, got it into Pikes Peak Rovers, crank shaft sensor was the cause of the missfire, $175 later, all is well with the world.

First night home and temp's are in the single digits, next day my wife gets ready to go to work, starts the car and, her words " sounded like a cat got caught in the engine."
smoke appears from the hood, she shuts the engine off and heads to work in her Jeep, sorry guys......

I get home early afternoon and start to check things out. Thought a pully bearing on the tensioner, alternator, AC Pump etc had siezed. Spoke to Luke at Pikes Peak Rovers, both of us scratching heads. Loosened off the serpentine belt, and found that the water pump pulley had scuff marks on it, although, at this time the pulley turned freely and there was no apparent wobble or grinding.

At this point I noticed that most of the hoses top side, were new with new clips. I loosened the top hose and found, da da da da daaaaaa... ICE.

Whatever SOB had changed the hoses, had filled up the coolant system with, yup, water.

So, I'm hoping that the water pump vanes have not been damaged trying to make a Range Rover Pina colada, and it looks like I will have to wait a few days for some warm weather to thaw things out and change the coolant to REAL ANTI FREEZE.....

So, anyways..... CAVEAT EMPTOR

BTW, my wife really likes the car, she calls it Tex, but more recently it has assumed the name of LEMON....

Watch this space

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got some real good news from Luke at Pikes Peak Rovers, he cut me a great deal on a thaw and flush and refill of coolant. Got the old biddy on a flat bed and heading to PPR today. Hopefully, my wife will have a Tex aka Lemon back home to love, nurture and drive tomorrow. Watch this space for upcoming news. da da da da dit dit dit...

BTW... Anyone in the Colorado Springs area should look these guy's up, they are the best, reasonable prices, and they know what they are doing...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.